thermostat

This is a discussion on thermostat within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone ever change the thermostat in a bugeye? How hard was it? Any tips? I have to put one in ...

thermostat

Anyone ever change the thermostat in a bugeye? How hard was it? Any tips? I have to put one in very soon and wanted any info on the procedure. Thanks
    New member of the 300,000 mile club!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not difficult. Now's the time to look carefully at the bottom hose and clamps too. Prefer authentic parts throughout, and do not overtighten the bolts. Burp the system very well.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

super easy to replace, follow bottom rad hose to thermostat housing, will need to jack car up but not to much, ther will be 2 bolts holding it on i believe 14mm, simple disconnect lower rad hose , let it all drain, remove housing and thermostat, clean up both sides of housing w/ razor blade and wire brush, add some high temp rtv and slap it back together, make sure thermostat is placed in correctly and go for failsafe so if it is to fail in future it will fail open, lotta burping and re-fill good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by HRTATAK View Post
    Anyone ever change the thermostat in a bugeye? How hard was it? Any tips? I have to put one in very soon and wanted any info on the procedure. Thanks
    Why do you feel you'll need one soon? Usually not a maintenance item, just replace when it goes bad

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Why do you feel you'll need one soon? Usually not a maintenance item, just replace when it goes bad
    I had to replace my radiator this last weekend because of the top take on my stocker cracked we all know how crappy the subie tanks are, and I figured that I'm in there I might as well change it and sure enugh it was the original subaru thermo.

Plus it adds to peace of mind when comming into winter time. (don't want to have to change it half way threw winter in the freazing cold when it finally went bad)

Sorry I posted in the wrong section. Thanks guys for all the info. Its trying to stick closed so I need to replace it. It usually gets replaced when I change the timing belt but this one isn't going to make it that long. Thanks again for the tips everyone.
    New member of the 300,000 mile club!