Body work guesstimate?

This is a discussion on Body work guesstimate? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not Subaru and I know you can't get specific about a body work estimate from pictures but ....can someone give ...

Body work guesstimate?

Not Subaru and I know you can't get specific about a body work estimate from pictures but....can someone give me a very rough guess what to expect this is going to cost me? I'm paying out of pocket for it (not submitted to insurance) so I am deciding whether to fix it now or in a couple months.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47155491@N02/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i had the same type of damage on my subie. it wasnt as bad but it was in the same area. my dad said it wouldve been a little over a grand to fix it. (he owns a body shop with my uncle so its possible they're just overpriced lol)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Yeah that looks like it's in the neighborhood of a grand, maybe $1200-1300.

Why not just take it to the body shop and get a free estimate to be sure?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

that sucks, sorry man. i work as an auto damage estimator for an insurance company.

from what i can see. the vehicle is an 08+ yaris right?

i wrote an estimate for you, and based on the pictures, you may be looking at close to $2000 if you want it done right. obviosuly the prices may be different where you live based on labor rates, tax rates, and regional parts price differences.

the silver on toyotas is difficult to match, and for the job to be done well, you would need to blend the paint into the frnt door, the rocker panel, and you need to clear coat the right roof rail thru to the a-pillar. if you want to skip all of those operations and just fix the door and the quarter panel dogleg, it would be significantly cheaper.

if i were you, i would just call my insurance company, pay my deductible, and have the repair done right, but i guess i am biased b/c i work for an insurance company and i have seen too many cars that were poorly repaired.

good luck
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

Why not just take it to the body shop and get a free estimate to be sure?
    I'm just being impatient since I won't have the time to take it in for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    that sucks, sorry man. i work as an auto damage estimator for an insurance company.

from what i can see. the vehicle is an 08+ yaris right?

i wrote an estimate for you, and based on the pictures, you may be looking at close to $2000 if you want it done right. obviosuly the prices may be different where you live based on labor rates, tax rates, and regional parts price differences.

the silver on toyotas is difficult to match, and for the job to be done well, you would need to blend the paint into the frnt door, the rocker panel, and you need to clear coat the right roof rail thru to the a-pillar. if you want to skip all of those operations and just fix the door and the quarter panel dogleg, it would be significantly cheaper.

if i were you, i would just call my insurance company, pay my deductible, and have the repair done right, but i guess i am biased b/c i work for an insurance company and i have seen too many cars that were poorly repaired.

good luck
    You're correct--2008 Yaris. That makes sense about the blending and not being able to match the color. I actually posted this in my regional NASIOC forum to get an idea of cost and suggestions of body shops since prices are so inflated in the DC area. Someone said something about blending the front door and the roof rail...I was .

I'm definitely not submitting this to insurance. It was my wife's fault and I'm not going to let it screw up our flawless record with the insurance company. $1,000+ now is less than 5 or 7 years of higher insurance premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    $1,000+ now is less than 5 or 7 years of higher insurance premiums.
    amen to that. BUT, make sure that you guys dont have accident forgiveness, or something of that nature. i know a lot of insurance companies are giving their long time customers with good driving records a free-bee without raising rates.

if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time and are not really worried about resale value, i would just repair it the cheapest way possible. the only people who would know that it was not repaired perfectly are body shop people and dealership inspectors who look at trade-ins all day.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i had the same type of damage on my subie. it wasnt as bad but it was in the same area. my dad said it wouldve been a little over a grand to fix it. (he owns a body shop with my uncle so its possible they're just overpriced lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Yeah that looks like it's in the neighborhood of a grand, maybe $1200-1300.
    You were spot on with your guesses. To my surprise, my wife found time to get an estimate yesterday (I think she was feeling bad about it) and the total came to just under $1,100. Better than I was expecting and that included doing all the blending. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    amen to that. BUT, make sure that you guys dont have accident forgiveness, or something of that nature. i know a lot of insurance companies are giving their long time customers with good driving records a free-bee without raising rates.

if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time and are not really worried about resale value, i would just repair it the cheapest way possible. the only people who would know that it was not repaired perfectly are body shop people and dealership inspectors who look at trade-ins all day.
    We have only been with our insurance company for about a year and a half so I'm hesitant to submit any claims. Also, in this case it was just an oops in a parking garage and no one else was involved so I'd rather pay the money and forget about it. Probably will do the cheap fix as it is just a $12k Yaris. When it comes time to trading/selling (if we don't keep it till it dies) I'll keep all the documentation to prove it wasn't totalled. If someone is going to get worked up about slight variation of paint on the cheapest car made by Toyota they need to get a life.