02 WRX Wagon: bucking and stumbling something awful
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Wagon: bucking and stumbling something awful within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hokay. so i just got myself an 02 wrx wagon. it has a catback exhaust on it. it has a ...

02 WRX Wagon: bucking and stumbling something awful

hokay. so i just got myself an 02 wrx wagon. it has a catback exhaust on it. it has a horrible bucking and stumbling problem in every gear. when you stab the throttle it burbles and doesnt rev right away. the cel flashes and pulled code p0171. when you baby it is drives somewhat normal. my coworker and i pulled a spark plug today and it was white which indicated it was running lean. we also cleaned the maf sensor as well. checked for vacuum leaks and stuff. next up is the 02 sensor in the dp, going to replace that and see where i am at.

does anyone have any intel on what could be causing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did this just start happening or did you just buy it and it always acted this way?

I am just wondering if it was hastily put back to stock and you now need a new tune.

You have two o2 sensors one in the exhaust manifold and the other one is in the midpipe. I would t-shoot the one in the exhaust manifold first. Make sure the MAF is properly installed.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    List all the mods done to the car? Let me guess,it has an aftermarket intake.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The intake is not a bet I would take from Donkey.

Don't bother with the rear O2, the front one is the potential culprit.

How about the fuel (is it old or crappy), pressure, and fuel filter?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i did just buy it (paid to much, live and learn). it has done it since a bought it. it has a stock intake. i believe a grimmspeed cross and up pipe. stock down pipe. gfb hybrid bov (have a stock one on the way). tanabe 3" cat back exhaust on it.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I am just wondering if it was hastily put back to stock and you now need a new tune.
    it did have all the stuff on it then the previous owner had the stock dp put back on. it has an exhaust leak as well. it just plain does not have any power under throttle. its ok if you ease it into boost, but even then when 3.5-4000rpm it ****s the bed. the cel has also been flashing on and off at times.

Ask the person you bought it from if he had the car tuned with all those parts he took off.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Ask the person you bought it from if he had the car tuned with all those parts he took off.
    i think it was tuned at one point but the access port has since been removed. i am hoping putting a new 02 sensor on it will help. the blow off valve probably isnt helping either.

Stop driving it with a flashing CEL. That's the car's way of telling you "stop driving me or the engine will blow up".
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

driving it as little as possible. under normal driving (which is now the norm due to the troubles) the cel doesnt flash at all.

so i have installed a stock bpv and replaced the o2 sensor. still have the same problem, its not getting fuel! there are no boost or vacuum leaks. it wont free rev over 5000 rpm at all, floored or what have you. ideas?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The rear O2 has nothing to do with it. Is the front one in the exhaust manifold the one you replaced? Other options to consider are an exhaust leak especially before the front O2, intake leak before the turbo, or fuel pressure/filter, or a crap re-tune for the missing DP.

I have to add I am getting sick of hearing about people who probably have a decent running car purposely demodding in a half assed way and sticking someone with it all so they can make a few bucks on a used accesport and DP. Sorry for you.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    The rear O2 has nothing to do with it. Is the front one in the exhaust manifold the one you replaced? Other options to consider are an exhaust leak especially before the front O2, intake leak before the turbo, or fuel pressure/filter, or a crap re-tune for the missing DP.

I have to add I am getting sick of hearing about people who probably have a decent running car purposely demodding in a half assed way and sticking someone with it all so they can make a few bucks on a used accesport and DP. Sorry for you.
    the one in the exhaust manifold is the one we replaced. it has a new fuel filter about 20k ago. i do have the aftermarket dp for it but i dont know that slapping it on would help anything. the fact that it wont rev over 5k rpm in nuetral is annoying.

lol so it turned out the maf was only half cleaned. it runs much much better but is only hitting about 9psi now. i do live a 5200ft above sea level tho. i think it should still be more tho. closer to 11 or 12

Have you looked into getting it tuned yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.