Failed inspection today...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Failed inspection today... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...of all things, for I/M readiness. This doesn't make sense - the only time the battery could have been off ...

Failed inspection today...

...of all things, for I/M readiness. This doesn't make sense - the only time the battery could have been off AFTER that was already checked to be okay was at the subaru dealer to which the used car dealer took this car to get the recalls fixed (which, oddly enough, still show up as needing to be fixed... whatever). Since then I've driven over 300 miles in a number of different trip types.

Before I bought it, there was a point when I looked at the car, the readiness was all good, but it had a front O2 sensor code - P1131. They took care of this.

On my way home from failing inspection, not even a mile away from the inspection station, my CEL comes on. I check it when I get home (after getting gas), and Learning View says P0420. What? Why didn't this show up until right after a failed inspection? Coincidence?

One last bit of information: The reason I pulled the rom is because I already had my laptop in the car over the weekend - I was concerned with some of my timing. At the dealership, when I discovered the P1131, IAM was at 1, and the individual cells were all over the place. Over the weekend, I checked again (I filled up with 93 octane not too long after driving off the lot, and the fillup that I did after getting the code was with 92 octane - this second fillup after the LV session I'm talking about) - the IAM was up to 15, and the cells had calmed down a bit. When I checked just now, IAM was 16, only a few cells had any activity, and it was all minimal. Now, I'd imagine this could be caused by a bad tank or a tank of regular put in at the dealership?

Oh yeah, and the car's entirely stock.

So, #1, what caused the I/M readiness to take that long to get back? Would pulling the rom with ECUflash or doing learning view reset things?

#2: What causes P0420 besides bad cats? What causes it to come up suddenly like it did?

#3: Let's just say that I had a friend with a wrx. He doesn't like to obey the law, or environmental ethics. Let's just say he went into the rom using romraider, and put checks on all the nice little CEL disables and the force readiness thing. Would the MVC be able to tell that he did this? Would they pass him through inspection? Would there be any potential damage to his car as a result of bad cats that went undetected? I'm assuming he would re-enable all the DTC's after he passed inspection, so that he could make sure his car continued in working order.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know anyone who's run into an issue with OBDII inspection with the P0420 code disabled up here in NY. It's normally done with an aftermarket downpipe, which could fail a visual inspection, but with a stock exhaust, that shouldn't be an issue.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Pulling a ROM with ECUFlash will reset the ECU from my experience.

What I would do is disable ANY CEL that you think you may have problems with, and then drive the car for 200-300 miles. This should give you a ready ECU without any CELs. You should be able to pass inspection this way.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Okay, so what you're saying is that I indeed reset the ECU without knowing it. Good to know.

Well, at this point, I'm wondering wtf the cat efficiency code is doing there. I'm tempted to do a regular old full reset to see if the code will go away on its own, and then doing ECU modification.

BTW, looking at my rom, since there's no outright 0420 fix, it's one of the "Catalyst Readiness Threshold Fix" things that I want, right? What's the difference among B, C and F?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.