oil recommendations

This is a discussion on oil recommendations within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX wagon and need to change my oil.The engine has around 65,000 miles on it any ...

oil recommendations

I have a 2002 WRX wagon and need to change my oil.The engine has around 65,000 miles on it any suggestions on what kind of oil to use??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the owner's manual for the correct type and viscosity.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

And also lots of pretentious pricks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtwoWRXwagon
    What prompted that response?

The owners manual (and your oil cap) will tell you the proper viscosity to run, and the link describes the differences between brands.

Please refrain from personal attacks in the future.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtwoWRXwagon View Post
    What exactly are you trying to say? Is this an insult towards those who have responded because you didn't get the precise response you would have preferred?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

I thought the comment on "there are no stupid questions but lots of inquisitive idiots" was directed towards me trying to make me feel stupid for asking that question. I apologize I'm new to the forum and meant no harm

I Support ClubWRX
    I see what you are saying. That's not a comment in this discussion, it's a signature line that appears in that moderator's post in every instance. It's a quote and wasn't part of the conversation, in other words. In any case, welcome to the forum.

Follow the specifications dictated by the manufacturer when choosing an oil and also follow the service intervals in the book.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I thought the comment on "there are no stupid questions but lots of inquisitive idiots" was directed towards me trying to make me feel stupid for asking that question. I apologize I'm new to the forum and meant no harm
    That's ok. The written word is not the best for communicating intent.

I'll give you my recommendations that have been excellent for our boxer engines:

- German Castrol 0w-30. This is Castrol Syntec at 0w-30 that says "Made in Germany" on the back label. It can be found at Pep Boys or Autozone, for example.

- Mobil 1 0w-40. Also widely available at auto stores.

Both are full synthetic and approved by Subaru by the ratings on them. Yes they are 0w, not 5w, but don't be fooled. The shear weight is actually better at temp then most 5w-30 oils.

Both are regularly on sale at said stores with a free Purolator Pureone filter (which is very good as well).
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it and again I apologize I have much to learn!!

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it and again I apologize I have much to learn!!
    No problem at all. Welcome to the forum!
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Millers Oils have already been good and there technical guys
    very helpfull.