Question: How to Properly Tighten Hose T-Clamps?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

This is a discussion on Question: How to Properly Tighten Hose T-Clamps? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I stress the word "properly," otherwise this is truly a lame brain question! How do I know when a T ...

  1. #1
    Registered User 2:43AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NWI
    Posts
    647

    Question: How to Properly Tighten Hose T-Clamps?

    I stress the word "properly," otherwise this is truly a lame brain question!

    How do I know when a T hose clamp is tight enough? The T style hose clamps deliver more clamping power than the worm drive style, so my fear is while tightening these clamps, I crush the nipple or fitting underneath! Sometimes I underestimate my strength!

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    A t- bolt clamp? Personally I only use these when we are talking extreme pressures such as running high boost pressures and if we are talking about that than everything you should be tightening should be extremely hard, as in almost impossible to overtighten due to the strength of the metal...Personally I tighten all mine until they are tight ( You can kind of tell this fore when you tighten down the nut you can sometimes see the clamp flex ) , than I turn the nut another 1-2 turns.... I suppose " how tight " all depends on what exactly your trying to secure with these clamps....

  4. #3
    Moderator Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Da boonies
    Posts
    6,104
    I Support ClubWRX
    Where exactly are these clamps going? I generally only use T clamps on the pressurized side of turbos and superchargers. Just torque them to the factory specs or slightly higher. There is no need to tighten ANY bolt as tight as you can. Thats the whole purpose of torque ratings.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S




  5. #4
    Registered User 2:43AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NWI
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    A t- bolt clamp? Personally I only use these when we are talking extreme pressures such as running high boost pressures and if we are talking about that than everything you should be tightening should be extremely hard, as in almost impossible to overtighten due to the strength of the metal...Personally I tighten all mine until they are tight ( You can kind of tell this fore when you tighten down the nut you can sometimes see the clamp flex ) , than I turn the nut another 1-2 turns.... I suppose " how tight " all depends on what exactly your trying to secure with these clamps....
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Where exactly are these clamps going? I generally only use T clamps on the pressurized side of turbos and superchargers. Just torque them to the factory specs or slightly higher. There is no need to tighten ANY bolt as tight as you can. Thats the whole purpose of torque ratings.
    T-bolt clamp. Yes, sorry.

    These are clamps supplied for my new TurboXS TMIC silicone y-pipe and also replacing the screw drive clamp on the turbo inlet, which is now a silicone Samco.

    Using a torque wrench on a hose clamp 10mm nut is not very practical or easy. According to the service manual, the original clamp would only take 2.2 ft/lbs. Try that with a torque wrench!

  6. #5
    Moderator Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Da boonies
    Posts
    6,104
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:43AM View Post
    Using a torque wrench on a hose clamp 10mm nut is not very practical or easy. According to the service manual, the original clamp would only take 2.2 ft/lbs. Try that with a torque wrench!
    Its very practical and very easy. I use one all the time for small engines and such. Thats why you use one that does in/lbs and just use the newton meter rating or convert ft/lbs to in/lbs. Like I said,thats the whole purpose of torque specs. The answer to your question would have been to follow the torque spec .

    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=G4
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S




  7. #6
    Registered User 2:43AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NWI
    Posts
    647
    With your words of encouragement, I tried my beam torque wrench (which I am confident in its accuracy and consistency...slightly more than my larger "clicker") coupled with a 10mm socket. I torqued to the first tick mark on the scale, which is about 3 ft/lbs. Though slightly higher than OEM spec, the hose clamp feels nice and secure.

    I guess I just had a mental block on using a larger torque wrench on a hose clamp!

    I will look into getting another, smaller torque wrench for more accuracy in the future. Thanks for the help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •