Question: How to Properly Tighten Hose T-Clamps?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question: How to Properly Tighten Hose T-Clamps? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I stress the word "properly," otherwise this is truly a lame brain question! How do I know when a T ...

Question: How to Properly Tighten Hose T-Clamps?

I stress the word "properly," otherwise this is truly a lame brain question!

How do I know when a T hose clamp is tight enough? The T style hose clamps deliver more clamping power than the worm drive style, so my fear is while tightening these clamps, I crush the nipple or fitting underneath! Sometimes I underestimate my strength!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A t- bolt clamp? Personally I only use these when we are talking extreme pressures such as running high boost pressures and if we are talking about that than everything you should be tightening should be extremely hard, as in almost impossible to overtighten due to the strength of the metal...Personally I tighten all mine until they are tight ( You can kind of tell this fore when you tighten down the nut you can sometimes see the clamp flex ) , than I turn the nut another 1-2 turns.... I suppose " how tight " all depends on what exactly your trying to secure with these clamps....

I Support ClubWRX
    Where exactly are these clamps going? I generally only use T clamps on the pressurized side of turbos and superchargers. Just torque them to the factory specs or slightly higher. There is no need to tighten ANY bolt as tight as you can. Thats the whole purpose of torque ratings.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    A t- bolt clamp? Personally I only use these when we are talking extreme pressures such as running high boost pressures and if we are talking about that than everything you should be tightening should be extremely hard, as in almost impossible to overtighten due to the strength of the metal...Personally I tighten all mine until they are tight ( You can kind of tell this fore when you tighten down the nut you can sometimes see the clamp flex ) , than I turn the nut another 1-2 turns.... I suppose " how tight " all depends on what exactly your trying to secure with these clamps....
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Where exactly are these clamps going? I generally only use T clamps on the pressurized side of turbos and superchargers. Just torque them to the factory specs or slightly higher. There is no need to tighten ANY bolt as tight as you can. Thats the whole purpose of torque ratings.
    T-bolt clamp. Yes, sorry.

These are clamps supplied for my new TurboXS TMIC silicone y-pipe and also replacing the screw drive clamp on the turbo inlet, which is now a silicone Samco.

Using a torque wrench on a hose clamp 10mm nut is not very practical or easy. According to the service manual, the original clamp would only take 2.2 ft/lbs. Try that with a torque wrench!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:43AM View Post
    Using a torque wrench on a hose clamp 10mm nut is not very practical or easy. According to the service manual, the original clamp would only take 2.2 ft/lbs. Try that with a torque wrench!
    Its very practical and very easy. I use one all the time for small engines and such. Thats why you use one that does in/lbs and just use the newton meter rating or convert ft/lbs to in/lbs. Like I said,thats the whole purpose of torque specs. The answer to your question would have been to follow the torque spec .

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=G4
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

With your words of encouragement, I tried my beam torque wrench (which I am confident in its accuracy and consistency...slightly more than my larger "clicker") coupled with a 10mm socket. I torqued to the first tick mark on the scale, which is about 3 ft/lbs. Though slightly higher than OEM spec, the hose clamp feels nice and secure.

I guess I just had a mental block on using a larger torque wrench on a hose clamp!

I will look into getting another, smaller torque wrench for more accuracy in the future. Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.