Break in Period Fact or Myth?

This is a discussion on Break in Period Fact or Myth? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've heard a lot of mixed things about the break in period. I would assume that you would want to ...

7n7

Break in Period Fact or Myth?

I've heard a lot of mixed things about the break in period. I would assume that you would want to break in your engine dependent upon how you plan on using/driving your car. I just wanted to know what you all had to say on it. Is this something that should be followed to a T? Or are there less known/ethical ways out there of breaking in the engine. The only new car I drove is the one I currently have and it was mainly broken in by my step dad. Once I was driving it (took my drivers test on it) it wasn't treated as nice as it should have been. With all the new cars being posted about right now, possibly a lot of first-time-new-car-owners this might be something others want to know about as well. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most car makers recommend some form of a break in so as new parts are more slowly subjected to initial wear and theoretically longer life. I tend to think they are correct.

I have read where some engine builders do the opposite; subject to harsher controlled break in conditions right from the start to quickly get the engines ready for use.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n7 View Post
    I've heard a lot of mixed things about the break in period.
    What does the manufacturer of your car recommend? It'd be relatively safe to assume they understand a motor that they designed, build, sell, and support after the sale event.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I subscribe to the "take it easy for the first 1000 miles" suggestion. Although I don't think the car will be worse off if you don't, I do believe that easing parts into their usage is a good thing. Lots of manufacturers recommend changing the oil the first time at like 500 or 1000 miles and it's wise to do that.

But if you think about it....how many new cars on lots with 20 miles on them were kept under 4k rpms? I would venture zero. Everybody who test drives floors it, and they often take very short drives (less then 2-3 miles) without letting the car fully warm up most of the time. So that's a lot of different drivers hammering the car a bit before it's "broken in".

So while I think it's fine to go nuts right away, I do think a gentle break-in is a good thing to do. But I wouldn't be scared to go WOT "on accident" a few times during that period.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I just merged two while moving them out of EIT like yesterday. Maybe we need a catch all thread for this topic.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

7n7
    Yeah, sorry, I was at work when I posted this and after was like "I'm going to be yelled at because there are probably already threads for something like this" but..... went for it and thanks for any input.

I don't plan on going nuts on the car, but wouldn't mind seeing what she can do. My whole thought process on it is...

For new pieces that will be hitting/slamming/rubbing, it's probably better to give them a gentle rub (ha) and let them get into position. I can foresee rocking out from the beginning causing problems. I don't plan on driving it hard to Cleveland, but I'm not going to be going 5 under the speed limit. I'll drive it and be nice to it and hopefully all goes well. Thanks again for the input and sorry for starting another thread.

Edit:
    I just read through the first thread linked by Chader, and I feel like a tard for even posting this. Let this die lol
    Last edited by 7n7; 09-21-2010 at 09:52 PM.