2010 WRX plastic skid plate

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX plastic skid plate within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, since a bad motorcycle accident I cant reallly lay on the ground (not if I Want to get back ...

2010 WRX plastic skid plate

Ok, since a bad motorcycle accident I cant reallly lay on the ground (not if I Want to get back up)so changing the oil myself is out of the question. So the problem is, the first two oil changes were done at the dealer.
    I then took the car to my buddies service station and they put the car up on the lift. He asks me to come out and take a look at what he found and one of the bolts at the front of the skid plate is missing, long enough that the threads are rusty. The other one was still there but stripped.
    I called the dealer and they told me it couldnt have happened there because you dont have to pull the skid plate to change the oil and filter.
    I know my buddy didnt do it, Ive known the guy for 30 years, hes honest as the day is long. We were able to tap the holes and put the proper metric bolts in
    So is the dealer stroking me along?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, in July my dealer forgot my clips so it does happen. There shouldn't be any bolts that I can think of though. They should all be varying sized plastic plugs and clips. The mounting bracket does use bolts but I don't think you can see them without unclipping the plate. Maybe post a pic of the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg  
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

I cant get under the car to take any pics due to the motorcycle accident limiting my movements. But when it was up on the lift at my buddies shop,it definetly had two metal bolts in the front, well, one, the other one was gone as I mentioned in the original post.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't picture them but I'll definitely take your word that one was missing. Don't hurt yourself. My dad is in a similar condition. Sounds like you were correct and maybe the dealer was dodging it. At least you guys caught it before it looked like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

Your does look pretty ugly. Bet it made quite a racket!

I had to remove mine to get to the oil filter. (2010 model).
    There were 3 bolts, one plastic push-in-pin-to-lock fastener inside each wheel arch and two plastic clips at the back which clip to the edge of the cross member. The latter were a pain to get off as i was worried about breaking them. And those bolts were only nipped up - so be careful not to strip the threads on re-installation.
    There appears to be small opening beneath the filter for access but I reckon my big fat hands would have no chance of getting through it and the amount of oil that drains out when the filter is removed, I imagine it would make a mess.
    Cheers,
    tRev
    1st time Subaru owner and so far I'm pretty excited!

Yes, to change the filter you have to remove the undercover, This goes for pretty much all the newer WRX's and STI's also the new 2010 Legacy...

Its a good idea to put a bit of anti-seize on the bolts when you put them back in as well.