white smoke from exhaust on start up
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on white smoke from exhaust on start up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 06 wrx stage2, cat-less. I changed my oil Tuesday because for about a week my oil light ...

white smoke from exhaust on start up

I have a 06 wrx stage2, cat-less. I changed my oil Tuesday because for about a week my oil light would come on when idling. After the change that stopped. But now as of yesterday sometimes when i start it up i get a good amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust.... anyone have any ideas, i checked the oil and there doesnt seem to be any coolant in it so i kind of ruled out a bad head gasket....everything else seems fine im running normal temp and its running normal. except for the white smoke...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Umm...The oil light is for low oil pressure. Very very serious. Do you have the correct amount of oil? Did you use the correct filter? Did you check for a double gasket on the filter?

the oil light has been fine since the change...now its just the white smoke...

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow... you are very lucky to even have a running motor at this point. Once that oil light comes on, you IMMEDIATELY should have stopped the car, not driven it anywhere and figured out the issue, it's likely you were very low on oil.

White smoke is indicative of coolant in the combustion chamber.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

there was plenty of oil in my car, i changed it and problem solved no light, but thats not the issue anymore, now every once and awhile when i start my car i get a good amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I checked my oil and it is perfectly clean now sign of coolant in it. the only other thing i can think of is that there is a little too much oil in it, could that cause the white smoke?

fg

well white smoke is only caused by coolant as black smoke is fuel (diesels good example) and blue is oil. may not see any coolant or oil mix but somehow you gettin coolant in at could be from the intake tho bad gasket or somethin only way to tell is go to parts store and get a block tester little clear thing with blue fluid start car without radiator cap and put the tester there start squeezing the other attachment youll see the blue fluid start to bubble if your doing it right and do it afew munutes ifthe fluid turns yellow its a head gasket cause there are exhaust fumes present in the radiator causing it to change. that should save you expensive diagnostic trip to the shop.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The problem is that by the time the oil light comes on, you're already screwed.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If the oil light came on, you didn't have enough oil in it, and if you had "plenty of oil", then there's something else going on that you need to figure out, and now.

The white smoke is a problem of another nature though, but me thinks you have a repair bill you're not going to like in your near future.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

bad news need a new motor. what are my best option here, stay with stock or upgrade? anyone have any idea how much this will run me?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    bad news need a new motor. what are my best option here, stay with stock or upgrade? anyone have any idea how much this will run me?
    What was the diagnosis?

rods are knocking

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    Who would be doing the build? Depending a shop or dealership, plan on ~$4,000-6,000.

i family owned shop that my bro works at...anyone have any info on any better motors other then the stock one...?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, you already have a 2.5, which is what most owners of older WRXs do. Short of stroking or de-stroking, there really aren't any worth your time.

not that it matters at this point but out of curiosity what causes this to happen because its not like i didnt take care of my car....?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.