white smoke from exhaust on start up - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on white smoke from exhaust on start up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Based on your oil light flickering recently, yet there still being an appropriate amount of oil in the engine, it's ...

Based on your oil light flickering recently, yet there still being an appropriate amount of oil in the engine, it's possible that you have a broken oil pick up tube or a bad pump, which leads to oil starvation.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    not that it matters at this point but out of curiosity what causes this to happen because its not like i didnt take care of my car....?
    How often did you change the oil?

How much oil was in the car when the oil light came on, before you changed it?

i used synthetic and i changed it every 4-500 miles... the oil never was low when the light came on.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    i used synthetic and i changed it every 4-500 miles... the oil never was low when the light came on.
    you changed the oil ever 4-5 hundred miles? Im assuming you meant 4-5000 miles? Subaru calls for 3000 even if your using extended life oil.
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 09-21-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: server was busy
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

my set up is spt intake, hks catless downpipe, and spt exhaust, tuned to stage II with a cobb ap. does anyone think that this contributed to my problem. the only thing i can think is that i ran it for about 6 months without the AP after i did the downpipe, which caused y car to over boost pretty bad....thats the only thing that i can really think off...

i ran it for about 6 months without the AP after i did the downpipe, which caused y car to over boost pretty bad
    There's a distinct possibility that's exactly what caused it.
    ...Rob.

im just trying to avoid this happening again. i did get the over boosting fixed, but im thinking of putting my stock catted DP back on to be on the safe side. the new rebuilt motor, plus all 100k maintenance is going to run me from 6-8k so i want to make sure that i get the most out of the car.

I wouldn't be afraid to run a DP on your new engine, you just have to be tuned for it from the get go. Skip the Cobb map altogether and get a custom one made for you car.

Good luck.
    ...Rob.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    my set up is spt intake, hks catless downpipe, and spt exhaust, tuned to stage II with a cobb ap. does anyone think that this contributed to my problem. the only thing i can think is that i ran it for about 6 months without the AP after i did the downpipe, which caused y car to over boost pretty bad....thats the only thing that i can really think off...
    Overboosting is only part of the problem. You were also running VERY lean every time you ran into boost.

you shouldnt have left it till the oil light came on cuz you left it till the light came on it could have already caused alot of harm to ya engine i check mine once a week!!good oil and filter are important to ya scooby its not cuz ya got to much oil in cuz the smoke would be blue not sure what it could be but white smoke is not good!!i would sell it and get a better scooby or you could spend loadz on fixing it

well how would i fix the problem of running too lean?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Problem already solved, you got tuned. Removing the cats drops the post-turbo exhaust restriction significantly. This increases the pressure drop across the turbo, which spools it quicker. Because it's easier to spool the turbo, the turbo spools sooner (lower RPM). This means the stock delay the ECU uses before it switches to open loop fueling is now too large, which means the car will continue to stay in closed loop (14.7 AFR) well into boost, which can cause detonation/damage.

I Support ClubWRX
    You really need to research more before modding your car. And when lights on your dashboard come on thats a sign you need to figure out whats going on before driving it anymore. My suggestion would be to buy an oil pressure gauge.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

just out of curiosity what do you guys think i could get for my car as is....this is what i got
    2006 wrx tr stage II

spt exhaust
    hks cattless DP
    spt intake
    b&M short throw shifter
    Kenwood touch screen nav
    cobb ap
    spt strut tower brace
    all heat shields
    dba slotted rotors

needs new tires

needs either new motor swap or a rebuild.
    as of now it runs but the bottom end is pretty much shot

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Car without an engine is pretty worthless. I was offered $4k for my car with about $25k in mods in it when the car needed an engine rebuild.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.