Flashing Check Engine Light ?!?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Flashing Check Engine Light ?!?!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well earlier today my cousin was driving my 04' WRX on the highway and all of a sudden the Check ...

Flashing Check Engine Light ?!?!?

Well earlier today my cousin was driving my 04' WRX on the highway and all of a sudden the Check engine Light was flashing/blinking. Just yesterday put on new spark plugs and did a diagnosis and got a P1088 and the pieces should come in soon. Can that be the problem, If not what is it and what can be done to fix it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check engine light flashing usually indicates a misfire that would damage the catalytic converter, p1088 is for a tumble generator valve, which to my knowledge, will not cause a check engine light to flash. although I have never experienced that code before. Seeing that you just put in new spark plugs, I would double check your work and make sure you have the right type/temp plugs before anything else.

+1 ^^^^ Every time I've had engine light flashing, a spark plug or wire is done and a cylinder is misfiring. Do you notice the engine shake on accel?

nope not really, the only thing that shakes as of today is the steering wheel and that is just when I'm braking from a high velocity, which is simply because I need to align it.

So if I read it right the reason for the misfire is because the of the sparkplug??

its a relatively easy check. Let us know what you find.

spark plugs, coil packs, connecting wires, all that good stuff. Test your wires and check their connections.
    Power supply lines should be more than 10volts.

like jd said if you have the wrong temp or wrong type or if they aren't gapped right you can get a misfire
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

Quote Originally Posted by nunez07c View Post
    nope not really, the only thing that shakes as of today is the steering wheel and that is just when I'm braking from a high velocity, which is simply because I need to align it.

So if I read it right the reason for the misfire is because the of the sparkplug??
    The shaking you feel when braking are warped brake rotors, usually a matter of having them machined or replaced depending on thickness. Like wo-tron said, could be any part of the ignition system, could also be a vacuum leak or a number of other things. My assumption is that the light came on after you replaced the plugs so I would start there.

Registered User silverbullet207's Avatar
    Thats funny because just 2 days ago i fired my car up in the mornign and the check engine light was on and the "cruise" control was blinking... had it checked out and it too was a cylinder 1 & 3 misfire
    ** Hawk-Eye Alliance #513 **
    '06 WRX Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    The shaking you feel when braking are warped brake rotors, usually a matter of having them machined or replaced depending on thickness. Like wo-tron said, could be any part of the ignition system, could also be a vacuum leak or a number of other things. My assumption is that the light came on after you replaced the plugs so I would start there.
    Ok, thanks so replacing the brake rotors don't seem too difficult I'll do it sometime today with my uncle, but the real issue is the misfire. So should I test/check plugs, connection wires, and so forth and reinstall the TGV sensor to see if it was connected wrong.

Sorry for all my stupidity. I just got this car and I just turned 18 and don't know too much about cars, but willing to learn as much as possible.

I Support ClubWRX
    The TGV could be causing the problem. Some of the TGV codes will put the ECU into limp mode especially if the ECU thinks the TGV is stuck closed.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The TGV could be causing the problem. Some of the TGV codes will put the ECU into limp mode especially if the ECU thinks the TGV is stuck closed.
    I honestly don't know much about the tgv system but if it can put the car into limp in mode then definitely that could be your issue. easy to find out... plug it in and see if the light goes out.

Just to clarify, are you continuing to drive it while the light is flashing?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Just to clarify, are you continuing to drive it while the light is flashing?
    No no, it just happened when my cousin was driving it on the highway at a high speed and after he reduced the speed the CEL stopped flashing. I still drive the car but not that fast. BTW we just finished tightening some bolts behind near the turbo that were very loose can making the engine sound weird. mechanics here told me that there was once a big turbo installed and was previously removed, thats being why the bolts were loose. So everything is good except the TGV sensor which I ordered them in the morning.

Hopefully when I get it everything goes well after that.

Quote Originally Posted by nunez07c View Post
    mechanics here told me that there was once a big turbo installed and was previously removed, thats being why the bolts were loose.

Hopefully when I get it everything goes well after that.
    Me too, buying a previously modded one of these can lead to a lot of problems. Best of luck!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.