Changing Spark Plugs Today!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing Spark Plugs Today!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alrighty! With some know how that ive gained from this forum ill be finally attempting to change my spark plugs. ...

Changing Spark Plugs Today!!!

Alrighty! With some know how that ive gained from this forum ill be finally attempting to change my spark plugs. was kinda nervous of breaking something at first but after watching some informative youtube clips and with help from CLUBWRX posts im pretty confindent at this point! wish me luck guys!!! lol

oh and any recommendations on plugs for a stock 02 bugeye?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I changed my stock '04 plugs a few months ago and stuck with the stock NGK iridiums from the dealership. Also, I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual, and I had no problems swapping them out.

....oh and.....good luck!
    Last edited by McGizzle; 09-16-2010 at 07:45 AM.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

Quote Originally Posted by McGizzle View Post
    I changed my stock '04 plugs a few months ago and stuck with the stock NGK iridiums from the dealership. Also, I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual, and I had no problems swapping them out.

....oh and.....good luck!
    sweet! may try the stick with the stockies too!

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock plugs are platinum. There are corresponding iridium part numbers I believe.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

okay....so....spark plugs changed....new fuel filter and fuel system cleaner. one problem....reason i was actually wanting to do all these maintenance items is that my car doesnt some to want to make power on the top end. at about 4000-6000rpm it struggles to want to do anything. if i continue to punch it forcing it to redline my CEL blinks like crazy. (most likely misfire) so naturally i wanted to change the plugs, inspect the coils, clean the fuel system but not a change at all. same problem. has great power up until 4500rpm....and my i add im only getting a maximum 9psi boost according to my boost gauge. please if anybody has any idea of what may be causing this please let me know, as this is starting to get frustrating....thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The stock plugs are platinum. There are corresponding iridium part numbers I believe.

doh!!...that is correct sir. I went with these from subaruparts.com:

BKR6EIX11 Ngk Iridium Ix Plug
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-KING View Post
    okay....so....spark plugs changed....new fuel filter and fuel system cleaner. one problem....reason i was actually wanting to do all these maintenance items is that my car doesnt some to want to make power on the top end. at about 4000-6000rpm it struggles to want to do anything.

Post the CEL code number and a list of all mods.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Post the CEL code number and a list of all mods.
    P0301

P0303

P0304

Zero mods from what i can see in the engine bay....bought the car used. i know it used to have an exhuast (no to sure if it was a full cat back or anything) but was reverted back to stock when i bought it. i know that those are misfire codes but they NEVER show up unless i really try and push the car passed 4500RPMS....if i keep it below. no problems.

I Support ClubWRX
    Has it been tuned at all?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Has it been tuned at all?

well, i dont believe so. ive only owned the car for about two weeks and was wondering what ill have to do next to get it done. sucks, cause i know what a good running wrx feels like after 4500rpms and mine struggles...

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I'd wait for somebody with some first hand experience, but you may want to make sure he didn't have it tuned before it was returned to stock. You might be running a tune for a car with 3" exhaust or something.

...That is a shot in the dark. Really just a guess. Some datalogging from romraider may give you some clues though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Has it always done this (sense you bough it)?
    Or just sense changing the sparkplugs?
    What sparkplugs did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Has it always done this (sense you bough it)?
    Or just sense changing the sparkplugs?
    What sparkplugs did you use?
    yes, ever since i bought it. used NGK OEM replacements....same outcome..

Then the spark plugs where not the cause of this problem.

There are other ways to hit these codes, and this is just a theory.
    The previous owner needed a new clutch, so they purchased an aftermarket clutch and lightened flywheel. Thinking lighter is better, they installed one that was too light. When the car was traded in it retained that light flywheel, causing the ECU to complain (flashing cel) due to the engine revving too quickly.

Reference thread.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563477

Nice theory but completely out to lunch on the flywheel bit. a flashing c.e.l. is ALWAYS caused by malfunctions that will allow raw fuel to hit the cat convertors and melt them to ****.... i.e. misfires and such. the rpm/flywheel issue is a non issue as far as i'm concerned, as many people such as myself have excessively lightened flywheels. i would start with the fuel delivery system due to the fact that it only occurs at high rpm, check fuel pressure and replace fuel filter, also a good idea to verify fuel flow as limited flow will also cause this condition. if that all checks out i'd be checking ignition coils/connections.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.