2.2KOhm Mod + Smog??

This is a discussion on 2.2KOhm Mod + Smog?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All, P5046 as always is with the EGT sensor. I have a STOCK uppipe / downpipe but I believe the ...

2.2KOhm Mod + Smog??

All, P5046 as always is with the EGT sensor. I have a STOCK uppipe / downpipe but I believe the sensor is shot. If I put the 2.2kOhm mod in, will that limit me from passing smog? Ill just ducttape the sensor male and female ends together, im just worried about not being able to pass smog. I did purchase a new EGT sensor but time is of the essense and it seems that I have to take off the intake, coolant resevour and maybe even the turbo to get to the stupid EGT sensor.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If there is a visual test and they know what they are doing or they care, they should fail you. If none of the above, you should be fine since the resistor will put the sensor in a "ready" state.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright.. I'm going to put the resister in tonight, probably leave the EGT sensor plugged in for now, and duct tape the " plug " together with the resister in there. Try to smog it, and if it passes it passes, otherwise ill go from there. I tried to explain my situation to a neighbors brother who is a subaru tech and he of course did the tech thing and told me to bring it in. Guess he couldn't understand that I just need to pass smog for now and will go from there. Thanks for the insight!

I Support ClubWRX
    You might consider electrical tape rather than duct tape. Duct tape has all the subtlety of an elephant. Electrical tape, particularly black, will either go unnoticed or unremarked if it's on an electrical connection. Your best bet, of course, is no tape at all. Does the connector not fit together at all with the resistor in place?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You might consider electrical tape rather than duct tape. Duct tape has all the subtlety of an elephant. Electrical tape, particularly black, will either go unnoticed or unremarked if it's on an electrical connection. Your best bet, of course, is no tape at all. Does the connector not fit together at all with the resistor in place?
    I will have to try.. Not sure. I'm thinking not, but I know as long as the two prongs are in the hole's, I can bend the actual resister part out of the way to try to get the cap to fit. When I had it apart yesterday, I noticed it is quite a tight fit. Ill try it out tonight, I am also going to borrow an OBDII reader from our fleet repair guy at work to see if it still throws a CEL. Only thing I am a bit worried about is my tags are expired. Not to sure I want to go for a test run with expired tags.

I Support ClubWRX
    Expired tags and smog are two separate things.

Pay your registration plus any penalties now, since the penalties will only accumulate. In fact, you should have paid the registration when it was due whether you had the car smogged or not, in order to avoid any penalties at all. This does not make the car legal but it does avoid registration penalties, and money is good to keep.

My guess is most techs will look for CELs, then look for the required components, and if all looks OK they'll simply pass the car on visual. Note that if your car is throwing a CEL you will need several on/off cycles to check out "OK" before the sensor reports "ready" (the state necessary to pass smog). Install the resistor, see if the CEL goes away, see if you can be as subtle about the resistor in the connector as possible, and cross your fingers - but pay registration anyway ASAP, since you're just inflating the bill otherwise.

It typically will go up to a certain amount and not go any higher. My buddy paid his about 8 months over due and it was no more then it was on the " bill " from the DMV for his final notice. I think its like 250, which is not bad. Normally it was like 200 for my car. I had a problem with the o2 sensor on the intake a while back, and failed smog due to a CEL on that. I took the o2 sensor out, cleaned it off and it was fine afterwords. Passed no problem. Thanks for the advice!

I Support ClubWRX
    Cheers, good luck.