Mechanical whine when cold
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mechanical whine when cold within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2002 WRX Wagon, 88k, no significant mods (r sway bar, grounding wires): It's developed a distinct, fairly high-pitched whine from ...

Mechanical whine when cold

2002 WRX Wagon, 88k, no significant mods (r sway bar, grounding wires):

It's developed a distinct, fairly high-pitched whine from the front of the engine, 100% synched to engine speed, somewhere down beneath the A/C pulley. The noise is somewhat suppressed below 2,000rpm, but it comes on strong at 2,000 and higher.

It's only really bad when cold. It is much quieter after 20mins or so of driving.

Removing the PS/Alt belt had no effect, I did not remove and test the A/C belt.

I've read some threads about the A/C tensioner pulley making noise, and one about a small brass pulley on the cam belt system. I don't recall their authors stating that the noise goes away once fully warmed up.

It's on its 2nd automatic timing belt tensioner.

>>Has anyone had specific experience with the noise being prominent only when cold? What was the culprit, and how did you solve the problem?

Many thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GM_WRX View Post
    I've read some threads about the A/C tensioner pulley making noise, and one about a small brass pulley on the cam belt system. I don't recall their authors stating that the noise goes away once fully warmed up.
    I had this problem last winter. Replaced the pulley that you mentioned and no more noise.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Thanks!!

With your evidence that it's prob the A/C tensioner pulley, I did the test that I should have done yesterday (pulled that belt too and ran it).

Sure enough, not a hint of the whine when it had been most pronounced. The darned thing grinds and makes noise just spinning it on my finger, and it won't spin freely, period. Off to the Subie dealer tomorrow for a new pulley.

I couldn't find a torque figure for the two pulley bracket bolts in the shop manual - what would you suggest?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.