Turbo problems

This is a discussion on Turbo problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm wondering what the life expectancy is for a turbo? I just had my 2003 WRX serviced in April and ...

Unhappy Turbo problems

I'm wondering what the life expectancy is for a turbo? I just had my 2003 WRX serviced in April and had a few things done including having an oil leak fixed. Two weeks ago I got an engine knock and I checked my oil level and it was 4 quarts low (oil light never came on). I took my car back to Subaru to look at and they told me the turbo was burned up and it had burned all the oil up and said that sludge kept the oil light from working. THey didn't say anything was wrong in April though. I have 130K miles on it. Does anyone know if this is normal? If it is, at what point should I start checking oil useage because I have another one with 90K miles on it and I don't want to have to go through this again.

Thanks,
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on the amount of boost run and how often the car is in boost. I wouldn't say 130k was unreasonable.

I would expect the turbo to go at least 120,000 miles, under normal circumstances.

Your engine was nearly out of oil, is it knocking?

Oh yeah. My car is at Subaru now getting a new short block and turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Any life after 80-100k on a turbo is a gift.

Remember to check your oil at least once a week. The oil didn't disappear all at once. This is a $3000 - $4000 fix that could have been avoided.

This is definitely a learning situtaion for me and an expensive one as well. Never had a turbo before. At least I well be keeping an eye out on the other one.

Thanks everyone.