06 WRX...Turbocharger covered under Powertrain Warranty?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX...Turbocharger covered under Powertrain Warranty? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a 2006 WRX. It currently has just over 43,000 miles. During the past few months, I started to ...

06 WRX...Turbocharger covered under Powertrain Warranty?

I own a 2006 WRX. It currently has just over 43,000 miles. During the past few months, I started to notice a significant oil smell following highway travel (i.e. coming to a stop at the end of an off-ramp after getting off an interstate highway).

After doing some research on here, I came to the conclusion that I might have some oil in the stock TMIC. I brought my car into a local Subaru dealer today to have somebody look at it. Sure enough, the mechanics found oil dripping off the intercooler hose and found oil in the intercooler.

On the invoice, the mechanics additionally stated "Turbo seals leaking needs turbo about 1600.00 to replace". When I arrived back home, I promptly took a look at my warranty paperwork. According to my records, my vehicle's 60,000-mile Powertrain Warranty expires 05/20/11. Is the turbocharger covered under this warranty?

More importantly, though, whether the turbocharger is covered under this warranty or not, would I be running the risk of causing the same harm to my stock turbocharger if my current aftermarket configuration remains as it is now?:

1.) COBB TBE
    2.) COBB APv2.0 w/ Stage 2 91oct map
    3.) NGK One Step Colder iridium spark plugs
    4.) K&N Typhoon™ Air Intake Kit
    "Donny, you are out of your element!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2006.html ...well, my latter question still remains.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Smljhndnsmr
    More importantly, though, whether the turbocharger is covered under this warranty or not, would I be running the risk of causing the same harm to my stock turbocharger if my current aftermarket configuration remains as it is now?:

1.) COBB TBE
    2.) COBB APv2.0 w/ Stage 2 91oct map
    3.) NGK One Step Colder iridium spark plugs
    4.) K&N Typhoon™ Air Intake Kit
    They would have every right to deny that claim. With that said, some dealerships are more "mod friendly" than others.

Even if you revert to stock, they'll know the car was modified, and will base their decision accordingly. Maybe someone in a regional forum on here/Nasioc can give you a heads up on that particular dealerships stance.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok, so I did a little more research. (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1141476). I'm not necessarily interested in acquiring any more power gains. However, it seems the TD04L-13T and the IHI VF39 both possess track records reflecting that they're susceptible to cracking and/or wastegate issues. If I were to, say, "upgrade" to a VF43 for the sake of turbo longevity, how much of a financial pandora's box would I have to open in order to avoid causing damages elsewhere to the drivetrain (i.e. intercooler upgrade, etc)?

[On a side note, though, the worst part about all of this is the questionable list of owners prior to my ownership. Although I bought this vehicle in it's original stock condition and have since driven it and cared for it with the utmost concern, the fact that the vehicle's title did not have any remaining owner name slots makes me wonder what sort of care (or lack thereof) the multitude of previous owners dealt to it before I stumbled upon the deal.]

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Were it me, I would simply buy a low-ish mileage stock TD04 from someone in the classifieds here or on NASIOC. If you're keen on keeping the car in good working condition, you shouldn't be modifying it. Pay to play my friend.

No dealership is going to warranty out that part with those mods, I can almost guarantee that, but if you revert to stock, you have a chance.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

well, i found and bought a used TD04 for $250.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was gonna say, you would likely be denied for running higher than stock boost.

You found a used one so it's all good. How many miles on it?

The purchase was sort of a gamble. No milage was provided, but here's the sale page link: http://preracing.com/catalog/product...ger-wrx-p-2070

It has already shipped and I've already received a shipping confirmation number. My greater concern, though, is for the longevity of Stock Turbo: Round 2! In order to maintain a stage 2 power configuration, would it be wise of me to additionally purchase an external wastegate-compatible uppipe, external wastegate, and an internal wastegate bracket to protect the stock turbocharger?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Smljhndnsmr View Post
    The purchase was sort of a gamble. No milage was provided, but here's the sale page link: http://preracing.com/catalog/product...ger-wrx-p-2070

It has already shipped and I've already received a shipping confirmation number. My greater concern, though, is for the longevity of Stock Turbo: Round 2! In order to maintain a stage 2 power configuration, would it be wise of me to additionally purchase an external wastegate-compatible uppipe, external wastegate, and an internal wastegate bracket to protect the stock turbocharger?
    You could buy all that and extend the td04's life a little, but why not step up to a nice aftermarket rebuild-able unit and call it a day?

I know the td04 is rebuild-able but I wouldn't waste the money doin all that to make it live longer. Honestly you'd be money ahead just buying one for $250 every 50k miles.

BTW my td04 has 60k on it. I know others have far far more miles on them, so this may be the last time you change it in the cars life anyways.

Donkey on here has played with td04's quite a lot, even upgrading them.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly I don't think an EWG is the best investment on a stage 2 WRX. The money is better spent elsewhere.

I'd call PRE for sake of mind to ask them about mileage.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Smljhndnsmr
    PRE is a vendor on here. I wouldn't be too worried about the purchase. With any purchased of used parts, there's the risk that it would be bad, but I'm sure Bobby/Erich would make it right if there was an issue.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Honestly I don't think an EWG is the best investment on a stage 2 WRX. The money is better spent elsewhere.
    If the money were to be spent elsewhere - assuming that I plan to stay at a stage 2 WRX - what might I modify (other than driving style) to better protect the turbo/IWG? Don't read me wrong, though. This vehicle is my only vehicle. I never launch. Considering I've kept the drivetrain modifying to a modest degree (stage 2), I'm honestly bewildered as to why my turbo has decided to go on the fritz recently. All I can think is that all those damned owners before me...despite the supposed clean record of ownership.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    No offense, but an EWG would do nothing to "help protect the turbo". The only thing you can do is get a neutered tune and adjust your driving style.

Also, it pays off to research before making purchases. Used stock turbos usually go for $100-150. I'm sure the one you got will be fine, just saying you could have gotten one cheaper.
    Last edited by brfatal; 09-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.

I agree upgrading to an EWG, is overkill. Plus they are kinda loud, and because of that it could be difficult to live with day to day.

You may want to consider a catch can or an air/oil separator. These will help keep oil out of the intake track, and help keep oil away from the combustion chamber, but it would not help you with your turbo/turbo seals.

The mod list in your first post is lacking an aftermarket Uppipe. If you are still running the stock uppipe I suggest you read this thread.

Cheers,
    -SeattleJeremy

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy
    I agree upgrading to an EWG, is overkill. Plus they are kinda loud, and because of that it could be difficult to live with day to day.
    EWG is obnoxious (in a good way) when it dumps, yes. However, during normal day-to-day driving, mine doesn't open, and therefore, it's as if it isn't even there. I have never had an instance in which it's dumped unless I wanted it to...

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast