Timing belt maintenance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Timing belt maintenance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello I just purchased my first Subaru its 8 yrs old now but im still happy to own it. The ...

Timing belt maintenance

Hello

I just purchased my first Subaru its 8 yrs old now but im still happy to own it. The previous owner said that I should change the timing belt. This morning I called my mechanic and asked him how much it would cost to change it, he said "the WRX has two belts to change and it takes alot of work, I usually recommend replacing the bearing and the water pump when doing this job. He estimates the cost to be no less than 700. "

How does this sound to you guys? whats the approximate cost of the timing belt change. Do i need to change the water pump?

2002 impreza WRX wagon
    2.0L turbo
    5spd manual
    110k miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've seen anywhere from $400-$700 on quotes. Personally I feel $700 is too high, but I'll do my own TB anyways.

It is a lot of work to change, but no more so than any other timing belt. The theory behind changing the water pump is that it is a fairly inexpensive part that is driven off of the timing belt. If it goes bad later on, you have to pull the timing belt to change it. Therefore it makes sense just to change it when you change the TB.

FWIW there are 3 belts to change, 2 accessory drive you have to take off to gain access to the TB and the TB.

IIRC some people would change the TB tensioner at the same time.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Your mechanic is remembering the older Subarus that had two t-belts. Our cars have one.

Like posted above, ALWAYS change the water pump and tensioner(s) when doing a timing belt. If the water pump is driven by the belt (which ours is), when the pump fails and seizes, it takes out the belt, and your engine with it. The same goes with the tensioner.

I don't know where your mechanic got to thinking the WRX has two timing belts. Maybe he was referring to the accessory belts. If he does not know Subaru's you might want to shop around.

The price he quoted you was reasonable. I don't like how he said no less then 700$. It gives him room to go much higher. 700$ is a fair price depending on where you live. If you have the stock radiator in the car now would be a good time to get an upgrade. The stock radiator likes to crack in the plastic end tank.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

HI,

Thanks for the replies! This Mechanic has worked on my families cars for a few years and does a great job so i trust he knows what he is doing. He suggested i change the water pump, bearings and tensioner which now seems like a good idea. Thanks for the tips it looks like i need to do the repairs.

The radiator was already swapped out with a mushimoto Aluminum one. But no Up-pipe. (upgrade time, dam california emissions)

On a side note I drove my friends 06 WRX Wagon tonight... geez they got some quick throttle response Love it. hehe

-Sal

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I recently had a shop swap out my water pump for $350 including the pump. I had another local shop quote me over twice that (for more reasons that the cost thank heavens I didn't go with them). Call around.

So,

Update, I went to Pep boys to get a quote they said it would cost just around 1000 dollars to do the full job. I noticed they are using their replacement parts.

I went to the shop i had previously called and he gave me a real estimate. 1085! so not 700 anymore, I asked him where he was getiing the parts he said dealer, 298 for labor everything else is parts, tensioners bearings, and water pump.

not sure what to do but for 100 i rather have dealer parts.

any ideas?

-Sal

I Support ClubWRX
    Hell for those prices get a quote from the Subaru dealer.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

My dealer does theirs for no more that $450, labor included, I'm not sure why there's such a markup... It's relatively simple.

Not sure if it is prohibited to post a link to an outside vendor. Moderator please delete if necessary.

Here is the kit I bought. No way it should cost 700$ in just parts alone.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Suba...7_WRX_STI.html
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Not sure if it is prohibited to post a link to an outside vendor. Moderator please delete if necessary.

Here is the kit I bought. No way it should cost 700$ in just parts alone.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Suba...7_WRX_STI.html
    Wow thats great thanks man. I like the price and i could be saving quite a ton. My mechanic wont give me the warranty if i bring the parts though. I think it might be worth it though. ill save like 300 dollars.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    He should at least warranty the labor he's doing. Personally I wouldn't let a shop do the work without a warranty because if they do it wrong then you will be out one motor.
    Last edited by brfatal; 09-15-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Turbo is leaking OIL!!!!

CRAP!! worst day so far..

SO i took the WRX to get smogged so i can register the car. The car failed!!! Failed the visual inspection which is such bull**** imo!!!

either way i was told my turbo was leaking oil and to repair it with OEM parts it would cost 1600 dollars!!! wtf i dont poop money. Timing belt is going to have to be on hold.

Is there any cheaper turbo repair solution? I was thinking of a rebuilt one or maybe a "02-07 Subaru Impreza WRX TD05 16G Upgrade Turbo" which is sold on amazon for like $330. I need to register the car so i am looking for an affordable solution frankly 1600 + 800+ 200 for smog and taxes is not in my budget after i just spent 8 grand on the car.... sigh

any tips would be appreciated

-SAL

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Salica View Post
    SO i took the WRX to get smogged so i can register the car. The car failed!!! Failed the visual inspection which is such bull**** imo!!!
    For future reference, never "buy" a car without a valid smog certificate provided by the seller. I used quotations for "buy" because regrettably you've not really bought the car -- you cannot register it.

What caused it to fail exactly? Were the emissions OK?

either way i was told my turbo was leaking oil and to repair it with OEM parts it would cost 1600 dollars!!! wtf i dont poop money. Timing belt is going to have to be on hold.
    Everything is on hold, because it makes no sense to throw more money into a car that you cannot register. Get it smogged first.

Is there any cheaper turbo repair solution?
    Yes. A used OEM.

I was thinking of a rebuilt one or maybe a "02-07 Subaru Impreza WRX TD05 16G Upgrade Turbo" which is sold on amazon for like $330.
    How would that pass smog?...

State specifically what the issue is with the smog inspection to get better help. Everything else is secondary. Did you buy the car from a dealer or a private party? A dealer cannot legally sell you a car for road use that does not meet road standards. A private party can take your money but you will be unable to register the car in your name unless you (or they, but that's a moot point now - it was their responsibility to do this before the $ changed hands) smog it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What caused it to fail exactly? Were the emissions OK?
    The car failed the Visual inspection, the smog station stated there was some blue smoke coming from my tailpipe. I had never seen blue smoke coming from my tailpipe before but then again im slightly colorblind.

Car did pass emissions.

Everything is on hold, because it makes no sense to throw more money into a car that you cannot register. Get it smogged first
    After they inspected the car, the said the blue smoke was coming from the Turbo leaking oil. They said that i would need to replace the Turbo so the blue smoke will subside and i will then pass smog.

Yes. A used OEM.
    I live in Southern California, besides junkyards are there any reputable sellers of used OEM Turbos? or even rebuilt ones?

How would that pass smog?...
    I suggested the AMAzon turbo because as i was told by the shop the problem is with the actual turbo. So i figure if i get a turbo at a better price i wont have to pay soo much money for the repair.

Purchased from private party.

thanks for the help

-Sal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast