Timing belt maintenance - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Timing belt maintenance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Salica The car failed the Visual inspection, the smog station stated there was some blue smoke coming ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Salica View Post
    The car failed the Visual inspection, the smog station stated there was some blue smoke coming from my tailpipe.
    Was this place test-only? If you pass the emissions testing and all components that should be on the car are both there and operational, I can't imagine how/why the car would not pass. Was the car warmed up when you tested it? Is the car stock?

I had never seen blue smoke coming from my tailpipe before but then again im slightly colorblind.
    Check again tomorrow.

Car did pass emissions.
    Bizarre. I am unaware of a stipulation that the exhaust be clear visually; only that it measure OK and that the car be OK as far as components present visually -- and those components must work. Don't exclude getting a second opinion IMO.

After they inspected the car, the said the blue smoke was coming from the Turbo leaking oil. They said that i would need to replace the Turbo so the blue smoke will subside and i will then pass smog.
    People wreck these cars all the time, and the stock turbo can also be rebuilt if that is the problem.

I suggested the AMAzon turbo because as i was told by the shop the problem is with the actual turbo.
    It is larger and ostensibly of lower quality. I would not do this.

Tomorrow, after warming up the car, check for smoke yourself. Have a friend rev the motor to 3K or so gently and see what happens. Have them idle it, rev it, idle again, etc. and look for smoke. Then act accordingly (second opinion).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the smog shop is trying to take you for a ride. My guess is they are a repair shop that also does smog checks, as opposed to a smog only station.
    Get it smoged elsewhere and save the money.

I don't care if it smokes pink unicorn rainbows, even in CA if it passes component visual and the sniffer, it passes period.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I think the smog shop is trying to take you for a ride. My guess is they are a repair shop that also does smog checks, as opposed to a smog only station.
    Get it smoged elsewhere and save the money.

I don't care if it smokes pink unicorn rainbows, even in CA if it passes component visual and the sniffer, it passes period.
    This is what I'm thinking.

If all equipment spec'ed is there and functional, and if the emissions are below the max limits, it can be smoking like Skylab falling to Earth and it should still pass. Smog techs have eyes like everyone else's and they can't be expected to analyze visible smoke by... looking at it.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

funny isnt it.

Hello,

Yes the car failed due to Visual inspection.
    Was this place test-only?
    The smog station is a repair place and i was under the same impression that they are trying to make some money off me. Im not sure how they warmed the car up but my guess is it was not properly warmed up. I will be taking the car to a smog only station in the next few days.

That shop was rated high by the community, ACA automotive but im begining to wonder. Nojudments yet, we will see what happens at the next smog station shop.

It is larger and ostensibly of lower quality. I would not do this.
    Thanks i will not be buying this turbo.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Salica View Post
    CRAP!! worst day so far..

SO i took the WRX to get smogged so i can register the car. The car failed!!! Failed the visual inspection which is such bull**** imo!!!

either way i was told my turbo was leaking oil and to repair it with OEM parts it would cost 1600 dollars!!! wtf i dont poop money. Timing belt is going to have to be on hold.

Is there any cheaper turbo repair solution? I was thinking of a rebuilt one or maybe a "02-07 Subaru Impreza WRX TD05 16G Upgrade Turbo" which is sold on amazon for like $330. I need to register the car so i am looking for an affordable solution frankly 1600 + 800+ 200 for smog and taxes is not in my budget after i just spent 8 grand on the car.... sigh

any tips would be appreciated

-SAL
    That turbo is going to be a piece of crap (good ones are twice that amount) and it requires support mods that will cost even more. Find a used stocker.

SMOG PASS?

Hey Guys,

So i took my car to my old shop to have it smogged. After failing the visual inspection at ACA automotive i took the car to get a second opinion(old shop) and i told the mechanic why the car had failed. He then said there was no blue smoke coming from the tailpipe and passed my car!! woot i also sold my old Celica GT today, it was hard to let go but now i have money to do the timing belt maintenance, and up-pipe change.

What is the way to find out if the turbo is leaking or losing power? I do have a turbo meter reading MPA, what is the peak MPA a healthy 02 wrx should hit ball park?

thanks again guys.

-Sal

I Support ClubWRX
    Look for roughly .08 MPa or so, depending on the gear you're in, and don't expect to find something wrong with your turbo frankly. My money's on "you're fine."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12