help the noob, is my clutch slipping?

This is a discussion on help the noob, is my clutch slipping? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive only been driving manual for a few months. Ive got a six speed accord which is a fine daily ...

Ive only been driving manual for a few months. Ive got a six speed accord which is a fine daily driver but Im having some issues.

about 20% of the time when Im shifting into second or third the car bucks; this usually happens when I first start driving for the day.

no matter how I let off the clutch the gear change is slow and the car bucks. after I drive for a few minutes it starts to smooth out. is my clutch messed up or do I need a driver mod?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

double post
    Last edited by Cmaj7th; 09-08-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: double

your clutch is def not slipping. you will know if it was slipping. basically, if your clutch is slipping, you hit the gas, and the revs climb but the car doesnt go anywhere.

how and where on the tach are you shifting? if you are shifting in the high rpms, its really difficult to shift smoothly for anyone simply because of the weight transfer that takes place from acceleration to shift to acceleration again.

if you are experiencing this "bucking" during mellow driving, try letting the clutch out slower. dont pop the clutch when shifting, that will cause the bucking you are talking about. you may have to deal with it while your car is not warmed up, but i dont think there is anything "wrong"

hope this helps, hope im not off base, but thats all i can think of with the details you gave. if you have more info that can help post it
    Last edited by dbya rx; 09-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

are you shifting at to low of rpm's and to much gas as well? because that would do it also... and i agree.. it isnt slipping... if you really want a test..

turn the car on
    pull the e-brake all the way up..
    put it in gear
    let off on the cluth VERY slowly

If the car dies quick... good clutch.. if it takes forever.. bad clutch
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by d_Ziggy_2000 View Post
    are you shifting at to low of rpm's and to much gas as well? because that would do it also... and i agree.. it isnt slipping... if you really want a test..

turn the car on
    pull the e-brake all the way up..
    put it in gear
    let off on the cluth VERY slowly

If the car dies quick... good clutch.. if it takes forever.. bad clutch
    That test doesn't work very well. Even a slipping clutch will stall the car quickly. It doesn't take much to stall an idling engine. While I think this is a driver thing, you can test for slipping by getting on the highway and doing about 60mph. Put the car in the highest gear possible which is 6th in your case. Feed the car 100% throttle quickly and hold it there. If the car accelerates normally, the clutch isn't slipping. If the rpms climb and the car doesn't accelerate, your clutch is slipping.

my clutch isnt slipping then it accelerates normally on the highway and it always moves under throttle. the reason why I thought it was an issue is because most of the time it doesnt happen. it only happens when the car hasnt driven that day and after a mile or two smooths out to normal. thanks for the reassurance though

could just be an issue where your car needs to warm up before you drive it hard. even if your temp gauge on your dash says the car is warm, it takes much longer for the motor oil and the other fluids to warm up vs. the coolant. dont drive you car very hard for at least the first 5-10 mins to make sure that all the lubricants are warmed up and doing their job.

when was the last time you had your accord serviced? look in the manual, and see if there is a recommneded time to change the manual trans fluid, maybe that will help the jerkiness when the car is cold
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

You can also try a low speed test... get going to about 30mph or lower then shift into 3rd then dump on the throttle and if it kinda bogs down and accelerates then its fine... if the rpm's jump up then it is slipping
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257