the Subaru dipstick is a monumentally stupid design

This is a discussion on the Subaru dipstick is a monumentally stupid design within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; why is that no one can ever get a consistent reading on something crucial and as easy to engineer as ...

the Subaru dipstick is a monumentally stupid design

why is that no one can ever get a consistent reading on something crucial and as easy to engineer as an engine oil level dipstick? even Chevy can design a dipstick that works.

surely they know about this at Subaru, how could they design something so badly?

:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    IME the Subaru dipstick functions beautifully. It is right in front, not excessively long or bendy and easy to read.

My dipstick always reads consistent

Are you trying to read while the engine is running?

Try letting it sit for 3-5 min before checking. Let the oil drain back into the pan.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I agree with 06wrx4me.

Also, recent Chevrolet cars and trucks come with electric oil level sensors, and lack dip sticks

there have been so many complaints about this dipstick, i find it hard to believe that you are serious!

yes, it is short, it's right in front of you, but it surely is not easy to read, nor will it give consistent readings. i've got the car (04 WRX wagon) on level ground atm, and it has been sitting for 6 hours. i've taken 4 readings and it gave me readings that are too low, not on the scale at all, or a smeared oil strip running the length from H to L.

do a search, there are many who can't read their dipstick at all!

I Support ClubWRX
    My rule of thumb. "If you can't accurately read the dipstick, you shouldn't be looking under the hood."

As I said I have no issues with it, and ironically find it infinitely more convenient and easier to read than my old mid 90's Chevy pickup.

And if you think a subi dipstick is hard to read, try checking the tranny fluid on an Allison 4500RDS hooked to a cummins in an International. The dip stick is easily 7 feet long and has 2 90deg bends and a 45 deg.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    And if you think a subi dipstick is hard to read, try checking the tranny fluid on an Allison 4500RDS hooked to a cummins in an International. The dip stick is easily 7 feet long and has 2 90deg bends and a 45 deg.

as i said, i am not the only one. do a search and you will see what i am talking about.

just fyi, i used to road race motorcycles for 6 years, and did most of the wrenching myself- so i am no stranger to something as simple as reading a dipstick.

Yea, you sure don't want to take the first reading as gospel... I've had mine show anything from 1" too full to below the add mark depending on when I take the reading. If I take a reading after it sat for a few hrs it can shows too much oil, if I take the reading less than 10 min. after shutting engine off it can show low oil level... I find the only accurate reading is when I take it 10+ minutes after shut engine down and taking the dipstick out wiping off and re doing it, same if it sat there for more than an Hr, you gots to take the dipstick out and wipe it off and then take the reading to be accurate...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah plenty of people have had issues but it isn't hard at all to get a good reading.

1) let it sit for a good bit

2) remove and wipe off several times to get the stuff that is climbing the tube making it look high

3) take the reading
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Haven't had a problem with ours.

We make sure to check the oil before starting the motor (first thing, so all the oil is in the pan), and we've had consistent readings.
    Go fast. Go fast now!

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    My rule of thumb. "If you can't accurately read the dipstick, you shouldn't be looking under the hood."

As I said I have no issues with it, and ironically find it infinitely more convenient and easier to read than my old mid 90's Chevy pickup.
    I'll blow away your theory. Should I be looking under the hood?

Our dipstick system is flawed. My car sits for months at a time. If I pull it out three times I will get three different readings. One side will read higher than the other. Not good. I'm just happy that I see oil on it and call it a day.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I'll blow away your theory. Should I be looking under the hood?
    PROBABLY NOT

Our dipstick system is flawed. My car sits for months at a time. If I pull it out three times I will get three different readings. One side will read higher than the other.
    It just screws with you so it can get 10 more secs of one on one time since its few and far between.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE