my poor suby
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on my poor suby within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i have a 2003 wrx that i bought with a supposedly bent valve due to installing the timing belt ...

my poor suby

so i have a 2003 wrx that i bought with a supposedly bent valve due to installing the timing belt out of time after replacing a blown headgasket so i reinstalled the belt to the proper time and ran a compression test to find that 1 cylinder had low compresion so pulled the engine sent the head to the machine shop were they said the valves wer not bent but just not seating put the car back together and still low compresion on that cylinder ahhhh! wat do i do next the car only has 19000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you happen to look at the pistons while you had the head off? Which cylinder has low compression? Did you do a leak down test also? ( this could easily help narrow it down ) ...

it was the drivers side front cylinder the piston looked fine and the head was pressure tested but the car sat for 3 years before i bought it could the rings b stuck from sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    it was the drivers side front cylinder the piston looked fine and the head was pressure tested but the car sat for 3 years before i bought it could the rings b stuck from sitting?
    hmmm, I suppose its possible however I would do a cylinder leak down test before you just start condemning things...How low is the compression?

I believe that the block was also pressure tested the compresion was 25 psi so we tryed running the engine to c mayb things woud seat n we wer able toget 50 psi P

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    I believe that the block was also pressure tested the compresion was 25 psi so we tryed running the engine to c mayb things woud seat n we wer able toget 50 psi P
    Either way both of those readings are extremely low...If you have a ring problem it should become evident with a leak down test... pretty much all you are doing is regulating air pressure to enter the combustion chamber while holding the piston at TDC...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.