I suck at turbo inlet pipe installs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I suck at turbo inlet pipe installs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I installed a Samco turbo inlet pipe today along with the Process West TMIC and splitter. It seems I damaged ...

I Support ClubWRX

Angry I suck at turbo inlet pipe installs

I installed a Samco turbo inlet pipe today along with the Process West TMIC and splitter. It seems I damaged a fuel line during the removal of the OEM and / or the install of the Samco. As soon as I started the WRX the unwelcome surprise aroma of gasoline filled the air. Sure enough there was a puddle of gas below the inlet pipe.

I noticed nothing during the process indicating a problem with the fuel line(s). I'm assuming I damaged a section of the rubber lines as shown in this image from Scoobymods.

I'll have a look tomorrow as I am totally spent physically (and mentally). At least I will be familiar with the removal process. I sincerely hope the intake manifold does not need to come off.

Anyone have any insight / experience with a similar fuel line issue?

Oh, don't miss the prequel: "I suck at turbo swaps".

Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-29-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've read about people doing this or knocking on the TGVs and messing stuff up during inlet install. You're definitely not alone. And yes, it was probably a rubber part.

I Support ClubWRX
    My neighbor is a professional auto technician. He said he will have a look at it tomorrow. I didn't look directly at the lines today - are they accessible without removing the manifold?

It does not look good, eh?

The image above shows the line screws facing downward. I'm thinking the hoses could be cut away ... I don't know.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

That sucks... I did a air pump delete last weekend and have the worst time getting the inlet hose on the turbo with the ic.... arrgh if you search for easiest was to get the intercooler back on you'll see the way I did it... (sorry on my phone at work and can't post a link)... good luck
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX

* Update *

I nicked a steel line with the hacksaw blade while cutting out the OEM inlet.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Fixed

This was way easier than replacing a section of rubber hose. I'm thinking this will last a while. I'm likely installing bigger injectors and pump before the weather gets too cold - the lines can be replaced then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG8658.jpg  
    Mods & Pics

looks good a word of warning though those type of connections tend to still leak.... but if you car feels great then it's probably not. I know what I had to do with my car is use a brass fitting. Just get one that fits and tighten it down on both ends... it will work a lot better than rubber hosing and will be more air tight.
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus11 View Post
    looks good a word of warning though those type of connections tend to still leak.... but if you car feels great then it's probably not. I know what I had to do with my car is use a brass fitting. Just get one that fits and tighten it down on both ends... it will work a lot better than rubber hosing and will be more air tight.
    My neighbor seems to think should hold up for a while.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-06-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Mods & Pics

Have you tried using jp weld on it?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

somewhere in the nowhere of somethings mind eye of a nothing
    i just put a catless up and dp on my 04 and my inlet ended up ripping while i was trying to put it back on, so installed the perrin turbo inlet and aftamaf went smooth other than breaking the purge control selenoid which is now bypassed until i get one from the dealer on tues and having to figure out the perrin crazy vacuum line hook up. good luck it seems we need alot while modding...
    "if you want peace, prepare for war", latin proverb and common sense
    "Why do penguins take smoke breaks?"

Looks like you nicked it a few times, glad you got it fixed up

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you didn't have to take off the manifold! I'm really not looking forward to doing this - probably just sell it if I can get the turbo replaced without ripping it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Looks like you nicked it a few times, glad you got it fixed up
    Yeah ... I wasn't thinking, just sawing.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Glad you didn't have to take off the manifold! I'm really not looking forward to doing this - probably just sell it if I can get the turbo replaced without ripping it.
    Both swaps were less than pleasant. I did learn from both; when doing a turbo swap be aware of and nice to the TGV sensor and there are really important things below the inlet hose.

The TGV sensor seems to have fixed itself as I the CELs it was generating have seemingly gone away.

Yesterday I jacked the front end up about 4 inches for easier access. Should have done that Saturday.

There is a lot to be said for remaining stock.
    Mods & Pics

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

There is a lot to be said for remaining stock.
    Repeat three times while clicking your heels together.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    I would think it would hold up fine. If not I have several sets of oem fuel rails laying around somewhere in the garage. I can get ya a replacement .
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.