No Boost! Can anyone help?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on No Boost! Can anyone help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the turbocharged world and it would be greatly appreciated if you guys could help ...

No Boost! Can anyone help?

Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new to the turbocharged world and it would be greatly appreciated if you guys could help me out. I have a 2002 wrx with a motor from a 2004 wrx. It has roughly 50,000 miles on it.
    My problem is that I have no boost, other than just wastegate pressure (about 7-8 psi) I think the car is in some sort of safe mode, as when I reset the computer it has normal boost (though has issues running well under full acceleration) There are no codes or CELs...I've ran it multiple times. After resetting the ECU, the car will run smooth under normal driving. However, if I get on the gas, at about 4000rpm the car stumbles a bit, seems to lag, then emits a small backfire. After that it feels like the powers back and it goes to normal boost range. However, after driving for awhile, the car seems to go in this "safe mode." Its incredibly irritating.
    This weekend I plan on trying to change the spark plugs and see if that changes anything, but I have my doubts. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any ideas, suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what kinds of mods, tuning are present in the vehicle?

it may be an issue where the engine management computer is retarding () the ignition timing b/c of issues w fuel/air ratio?

thats my best guess w/out knowing what kind of mods you have
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    what kinds of mods, tuning are present in the vehicle?

it may be an issue where the engine management computer is retarding () the ignition timing b/c of issues w fuel/air ratio?

thats my best guess w/out knowing what kind of mods you have

Sorry, forgot that important detail. All I'm running is Cobb AP Stage 2 91 octane off the shelf map, Cobb SF intake, and a turbo-back catted MRT exhaust. Also have a gutted up-pipe. The car ran fine on this setup for about 7k miles. I've talked to Cobb and they insist it's a mechanical issue and not tune related.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Mine did the same thing, cobb told me to do a leakdown test and a boost pressure test. My mechanic thought it was the ECU, we swapped a used ECU from another bugeye and it fixed it.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Mine did the same thing, cobb told me to do a leakdown test and a boost pressure test. My mechanic thought it was the ECU, we swapped a used ECU from another bugeye and it fixed it.

Don't forget to unmarry the accesport before you swap the ECU.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

replace the following with new
    - spark plugs
    - fuel filter

clean the following
    - air filter
    - MAF sensor

if that doesnt help, you may need to see a mechanic.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    replace the following with new
    - spark plugs
    - fuel filter

clean the following
    - air filter
    - MAF sensor

if that doesnt help, you may need to see a mechanic.

Started this today...replaced the spark plugs. Fuel filter was changed 5k miles ago so I don't think its that. I'll get to the MAF sensor and air filter tomorrow. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 02_wrx View Post
    I'll get to the MAF sensor and air filter tomorrow. Thanks
    make sure you are very careful when cleaning the MAF. if i remember, there is a special cleaner you have to use and be very gentle. check this out, and do some searches of your own. if you eff up your MAF, its gonna cost you a pretty penny for a new one...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1998442
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

yeah im not taking any chances on that one. I'll be swinging by autozone to pick up some maf cleaner

Well, I got the spark plugs changed, MAF sensor cleaned, checked vacuum lines, reinstalled the stock intake w/ a new filter, and checked the coil pack wires, and reset the ECU.
    So far so good...started the car up and drove it around a bit and it felt pretty dang smooth, even under hard(ish) acceleration. Still nervous, but Im hoping this solved the problem. Thanks for your help guys...I'll keep you posted as I put a few more miles on the rex.

good for you happy to hear you are back and running! im keeping my fingers crossed for you
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

It's back

Ran smoother then ever...and now off and on I'm having the same issue again. Any ideas what else I can do?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.