Roaring sound from front left wheel

This is a discussion on Roaring sound from front left wheel within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bout this car a few weeks ago and everything works fine except for a loud roaring sound from what ...

Roaring sound from front left wheel

I bout this car a few weeks ago and everything works fine except for a loud roaring sound from what seems to be coming from the front left wheel. The guy who sold it to me had it checked out and they could not find what was causing the noise. I've since then bought new wheels and tires hoping that would fix the problem but the noise is still there. I've noticed the noise becomes louder on turns making me think that maybe the wheel bearing is shot.

Any ideas on what this could be?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_dude34 View Post
    I bout this car a few weeks ago and everything works fine except for a loud roaring sound from what seems to be coming from the front left wheel. The guy who sold it to me had it checked out and they could not find what was causing the noise. I've since then bought new wheels and tires hoping that would fix the problem but the noise is still there. I've noticed the noise becomes louder on turns making me think that maybe the wheel bearing is shot.

Any ideas on what this could be?
    Thanks
    What are the wheel dimensions? Do you have the car lowered?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Most likely a wheel bearing or possibly an axle. Get it checked out before you do more damage.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Turns out its a bearing. Can I just buy the bearing and have it put in or do I have to buy the whole hub assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_dude34 View Post
    Turns out its a bearing. Can I just buy the bearing and have it put in or do I have to buy the whole hub assembly?
    Well if your 100% sure its the wheel bearing that needs to be replaced....you can purchase the bearing and the seals ( I recommend the dealership for these items )...Usually if the the wheel bearing its extremely loud and has been that way for quite some time the hub will also need to be replaced however either way there isnt any really concrete way to tell until you pull the hub out of bearing assembly and take a look at it for heat scoring and such, Of course this is all pertaining to if you have a 02/03 WRX like in your avatar pic, otherwise if its pretty much any subaru from 05- up..the hub and bearing is one assembly and just bolts in...

I'm 95% sure it's the bearing. Possibly a U-Joint maybe? The noise is noticeably louder when the car is leaning on the drivers side tire like around curves. I have an 02 model if that helps explain anything. I'm having it checked out tuesday praying it's just the bearing...