2009 WRX Wear and Tear

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX Wear and Tear within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I've got about 12,700 Miles on a 2009 WRX. Been doing some highway driving the last 2 months ...

2009 WRX Wear and Tear

Hey all,

I've got about 12,700 Miles on a 2009 WRX. Been doing some highway driving the last 2 months 70miles a day.

Lately I've started feeling a lot engine vibration and "lag" or hesitation from the transmission. Engine noise has even gotten louder even at 2500rpm. Even at low speeds around 40mph the car does not feel like it's keeping a steady pace (a bit jittery). It doesn't feel as smooth a ride.

The clutch also doesn't engage as smooth at 2000rpm.
    Took it in to the dealer for the 11k oil change and they tell me nothing's wrong.

Been using regular oil instead of synthetic. Could this be the problem?

Is this normal wear on the 2009 WRX?

Does wear on the clutch cause damage to the transmission?

Has anyone had similar problems on an 09 or am I going crazy?

Have there been any threads on tranny problems?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokescreenWRKS View Post
    Been using regular oil instead of synthetic. Could this be the problem?
    No.

Does wear on the clutch cause damage to the transmission?
    I don't think so.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Has anyone experienced any degredation in engine performance or transmission problems in the 2009 WRX? After 13000 miles?

Could it have been due to an increase in highway driving at high revs?

Could a highly concentrated mix of fuel injector cleaner decrease engine performance?

Also, thanks for the answers.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    More than likely it's because you've gotten used to it, rather than performance has dropped.

I would suggest that if you're worried about your transmission to do a fluid change and see if it helps any.

You have to remember with new vehicles that things get settled and broken in over time. Noises increase, vibration is more noticable, that kind of thing.

Was your vehicle one effected by the engine failures? Could be a sign of that if performance actually HAS deminished.

Your clutch is there to protect the transmission, not to cause damage to it, the surface is made to wear to save the transmission from shock. If you've been dropping the clutch, aggressively shifting and launching, then you could very well have caused damage to the transmission yourself, but this is definitely not fault of the clutch.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sounds normal to me. It's good to document in your own log book as well as with the dealer that you think things may be deteriorating slowly. Can only help in the long run if something does go out.
    If it makes you feel any better I never felt diminishing performance in my 09 before it developed a knock and metal in oil at 20k miles bout 3 weeks ago. Getting long block soon from subaru at no cost but service is definetly slow as I'm still without my car.
    Who wants to have some FUN!
    ---Stink-Eye Mob #26---

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    I would suggest that if you're worried about your transmission to do a fluid change and see if it helps any.

Was your vehicle one effected by the engine failures? Could be a sign of that if performance actually HAS deminished.

If you've been dropping the clutch, aggressively shifting and launching, then you could very well have caused damage to the transmission yourself, but this is definitely not fault of the clutch.
    Thanks for the comments all.

It's possible that I've gotten use to it. All that highway driving in the last 2 months also could've added to it.
    Deterioration just seems fairly sudden. Driving from the dealer lot last year you coudln't even tell if the engine was on. Now I can feel her grumbling and vibrating at 2500 rpm.

How do I find out if my vehicle is one affected by engine failures? Are you talking of the piston rod bearing issue?

No aggressive launching or shifting. Just "slightly" fast driving on the highway. hee hee...

Could using "cheap" 93 octaine gas from Freestate deteriorate the engine. Anyone think that there is such a thing as "low quality" 93 octane or is 93 octane the same any where you go Exxon, Chevron, or Freestate.
    How about fuel injector cleaner on a new engine?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnywrx View Post
    If it makes you feel any better I never felt diminishing performance in my 09 before it developed a knock and metal in oil at 20k miles bout 3 weeks ago. Getting long block soon from subaru at no cost but service is definetly slow as I'm still without my car.
    How did the engine "develop a knock". Was yours one affected by the rash engine deffects that's been going around? Mind if I ask if you were using Synthetic oil or regular? Just wondering.
    Last edited by SmokescreenWRKS; 09-04-2010 at 11:36 PM.

FYI Went to the dealer today. Mechanic test drove it. Said everything felt normal. Engine noise is typical of WRX. Ride seemed surprisingly smooth from the passenger seat.

I had them change to synthetic oil anyway.
    They put in all 5 qurts! is that right?
    Manual says oil capicity is only 4.2 but says it's more of a recommendation? (comments?)

A day of driving and 100 miles later..... The ride feels smoother! Shifting is seemless and not as jerky. Less vibration from the engine even between shifts!

Could it be the result of the synthetic oil?
    Ambient temperature in the past couple days has been 70F-80F
    A combination of both?

I still feel and hear engine noise and vibe but it's considerably less.

Lesson learned: Use synthetic on performance cars no mater what mfr says cuz you're gonna drive it hard!!?