Engine Knock??

This is a discussion on Engine Knock?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i just got my licence reinstated... have had the car maybe 2 weeks and today im driving to work ...

Engine Knock??

So i just got my licence reinstated... have had the car maybe 2 weeks and today im driving to work and notice some knocking noises at first from under the car it seems like an exhaust leak but from under the hood you can tell its definetly rod knock, iv read from searching that these motors have noticable "piston slap" and loud valves..

I checked the car over and over when buying it and didnt notice anything and have had it at redline at MOST maybe 3 times its got 93k on it and not one mod at all performance wise.
    Is this common on these EJ20's? can i get away with new rod bearings, new rings and honing?

It has tons of power and only does it at 3k rpm under load and not under load but clears up after 3k
    2005 Wrx 90k miles
    engine-hybrid ej257 2.0 heads vf39,
    3inch catless downpipe, up pipe, hks intake, tuned by yi from trendz 290whp 316wtq
    exterior-sti hood,sti trunk,sti side skirts,sti front bumper,bbs wheels
    interior-sti front and back seats sti steering wheel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by allwheelwisher View Post
    Is this common on these EJ20's?
    Yup, sure is. IMO Subaru has a problem with bearings, oil pumps, or something else because a 2.0L WRX is more or less guaranteed to spin bearings at around 70-100k miles.

can i get away with new rod bearings, new rings and honing?
    Personally, I spent the money an got a new crank, rods, and pistons, but you can get away with your list. I'd still do a new crank.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

hmm. ok I am looking and i will probably go with new crank and rod bearings and as long as the pistons and rods look ok i will probably leave those in. its my daily driver so it wont ever see more than 230-250 whp

I know this probably isnt possible but can you drop the oil pan and do rod bearings ? or absolutly has to be pulled out?

Driving nicley will it blow up crazy rod through the block and all or will it be fine for about a month?
    2005 Wrx 90k miles
    3inch catless downpipe, up pipe, hks intake, tuned by yi from trendz 290whp 316wtq

hmm. ok I am looking and i will probably go with new crank and rod bearings and as long as the pistons and rods look ok i will probably leave those in. its my daily driver so it wont ever see more than 230-250 whp
    You may very likely need a new rod for the one that spun. The pistons come with new wrist pins, so it isn't much more for the piece of mind.

I know this probably isnt possible but can you drop the oil pan and do rod bearings ? or absolutly has to be pulled out?
    Nope, you're pulling it.

Driving nicley will it blow up crazy rod through the block and all or will it be fine for about a month?
    So, you're asking if you can drive around for a while with metal shavings getting pumped through your motor?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Haha yummy meatal shavings...

I was also wondering about the 2.5rs block under boost? I found a short block for a very good price and with thicker head gaskets to lower compression a bit would that be a different option? I can't afford sti block yet
    2005 Wrx 90k miles