poor fuel milage ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on poor fuel milage ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello i just got my subaru running. it runs good but im under the impression that is using way to ...

Question poor fuel milage ?

hello i just got my subaru running. it runs good but im under the impression that is using way to much fuel. im trying to figure out what could be the cause. i know one of the sensors on the uppipe is no longer being used. its bypassed with a resistor can that have anything to do with fuel milage. the car has all the mods to run stage 2 but has not been tunned yet. anyone ever dealt with anything like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    what are you driving?

what MPG are you getting?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2002 wrx

if i would have to guess id say not even 10 to a gallon. im goin to fill er up again and actually keep track.

i know i put 10 gallons in it gave me 3/4 tank after 24 miles i was below half tank.

Why was the car not running?

If it was due to Modding - Just get it tuned or reflash it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

okay thanks everyone. i am looking into getting it tuned. just need to find a good tuner in phx. hopefully that takes care of it.

the car was not running when i purchased it. well it was running but it was running on 2 cylinders. we pulled the engine and found 2 burnt exhaust valves on pistons 1 and 3. got it all fixed put it all back together car runs good. just tryin to figure out the car and whats all been done. everything on the car is from the previous owner.

its got full exhaust and uppipe the sensors are still there i know one of them is bypassed with a resistor which i have been reading that seems to be pretty common when modding. as for that i need to get it to pass emissions does anyone know what they look for at the dmv.

i know in AZ they just hook up to the cars computer and check for the check engine light. which my engine light is not on due to that resistor im sure. so my ? is will it pass emissions?
    Last edited by wvh187; 09-03-2010 at 08:19 AM.

the plug-in emissions tests just check for lack of DTC's, and I/M readiness - if you've recently pulled the battery, this'll be a few days. They won't care whether the up o2 sensor is a sensor or a resistor. Other emissions tests (visual or buttsniffer) are not so guaranteed.

As for fuel - get it tuned, yes. But also answer this - does the fuel level drop noticeably if the car is just parked for a few days?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

it passed emissions. i filled the car up and am keeping track of the milage i will post up what i get when i need to get gas again.

i have only been driving the car for a couple weeks now but it did sit for about a month while rebuilding the engine. it seems to be doing alot better. i do need to get it tuned im just not sure where to go or who to speak to since im new to the whole scene. not even sure how much its going to cost.?

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    $595 flat for OEM tune with Cobb AccessPORT. It's a flash tune, essentially, so I think anyone can do it. Mine is on the way; I'll post when I do it.
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

that is what i was looking at was cobb. just have not heard that much feed back. let me know how it turns out !!

i heard getting it tuned by a shop can get you more hp than cobb anyone have any say on this?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wvh187 View Post
    that is what i was looking at was cobb. just have not heard that much feed back. let me know how it turns out !!

i heard getting it tuned by a shop can get you more hp than cobb anyone have any say on this?
    a custom tune will definitely yield more power/better results. the cobb maps are very generic & conservative.

i've had my AP for a while. it's very user friendly & gets the job done, but there are better options.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

There's extra benefit in getting a protune - your tuner will be able to spot major engine problems before he starts - so he'll likely fix your fuel problem seperately
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

The poor mileage could be bad gas or a lack of reading from the o2 sensor... you can get it tuned via tactrix and laptop... there are many open scource stage 2 maps out there...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvh187 View Post

Well, I'm getting the flash done to the ECU that is the 'basic'. The feedback (as I understand it) is: Cobb does what it is supposed to do--gives you about 10-15 more hp than stock, I think it gets rid of the speed limiter, and is a must-have if you do anything with your exhaust. So: do the Cobb flash with the exhaust. There's a sticky on this; essentially, the tune throws off the MAF and ECU. The more airflow there is screws up the OEM ECU because it was not designed to handle that kind of power. Remember: when you do the aftermarket exhaust and basic tune at the same time, you're gonna get about 30hp at the engine.

After you do a flash tune with the Cobb (and that's what I understand is the standard for Sooby tuning), you can get your car dyno-ed at a qualified shop. This allows an expert to 'fine' tune the tune--making it specific to your car, calibrating adjustments and giving about another 10-15 hp.

There are additional maps available from Cobb that can be downloaded to the flash tune. These, however, are customized for stage 3 (and beyond!). So...bigger turbo, beefier suspension...mega bucks...you'll pretty much be owned by a dyno place at that point.
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

I Support ClubWRX
    If the OP is seeing 10 mpg's then no tune is going to magicly fix his issue. Its either a mechanical problem or his driving style................
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast