LEGACY Overheating
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on LEGACY Overheating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 1997 Legacy AWD V-4 2.2 Manual Trans Last week I started up and began to drive. After ...

LEGACY Overheating

I have a 1997 Legacy AWD V-4 2.2 Manual Trans
    Last week I started up and began to drive. After a few miles I noticed the temp gauge all the way up. I pulled over, checked coolant and fans, both were ok. I limped it home thinking I had a thermostat stuck closed. After changing the thermostat it still runs hot. We burped the system over two days still nothing. CEL is on and diagnostic reads misfire on 1 and 3.
    It was suggested I ask for feedback here before going through the hassle of ripping out the water pump. My friend is the mechanic and doesn't think it's the pump but we don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mikeghoul View Post
    I have a 1997 Legacy AWD V-4 2.2 Manual Trans
    Last week I started up and began to drive. After a few miles I noticed the temp gauge all the way up. I pulled over, checked coolant and fans, both were ok. I limped it home thinking I had a thermostat stuck closed. After changing the thermostat it still runs hot. We burped the system over two days still nothing. CEL is on and diagnostic reads misfire on 1 and 3.
    It was suggested I ask for feedback here before going through the hassle of ripping out the water pump. My friend is the mechanic and doesn't think it's the pump but we don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?
    First take out an infrared thermometer and make sure the vehicle is actually overheating.. are you 100% positive you have purged all the air out of the system and the thermostat is indeed opening and closing at the proper temp? How many miles are on the vehicle? Does it overheat all the time? ( with the AC on and off?? , Stop and go traffic as well as freeway traffic?? etc etc... ) When did the CEL illuminate..as soon as it started overheating? or has the CEL been on for a while? Are you making any headway on the cause of the misfire?

I Support ClubWRX
    Do the fans come on? Let it cool down. Remove the rad cap, top off if necessary, and turn it on. Don't let it overheat! However, while the cap is off, eventually it'll reach operating temp - do you see the coolant circulate? If so the thermostat is opening, and the pump is at least pumping water (whether it is leaking or not is another issue).

Do you see any coolant on the bottom of the motor? Is the bottom of the front cover and the underside of each head OK?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.