new belt squeal
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new belt squeal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, asked this over at NASIOC too, but hoping maybe you guys can give some advice as well. A ...

DUB

new belt squeal

Hey guys, asked this over at NASIOC too, but hoping maybe you guys can give some advice as well.

A little while back I noticed a very slight squeal and figured it was a belt. I could only hear it at idle, it didn't increase w/ RPM or anything, once underway the road noise was enough to drown it out.

Yesterday I removed the alternator to get at the oil pressure sender and I noticed the P/S & Alt belt had a big ol' lengthwise split. I figured that must have been why it was squealing. Went to NAPA, threw on new belt. I installed it with tension about matching the AC belt and now it squeals somethin' fierce, like ear piercingly loud. I tried taking a little tension off, then a little more. To get it to the point where it doesn't squeal it is just barely hanging on, about 1.5 inches of deflection I would say, too much.

So, any advice? Do new belts often squeal (never changed one before), are there any tricks I should try? Could it be a pulley and how would I tell? Also, I know the PS/Alt belt is the culprit and I fired up the motor with out it and all was silent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...ss.aspx?ID=129

Cheap belts and improper tension can cause squealing.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

DUB
    I just bought the one the guy at NAPA handed me.

I tried every tension between way too tight and way too loose, the squeal subsides towards the looser end.

I'll try some belt conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I just bought the one the guy at NAPA handed me.

I tried every tension between way too tight and way too loose, the squeal subsides towards the looser end.

I'll try some belt conditioner.

If you can, I highly recommend Subaru belts, way to many problems in my opinion in terms of the aftermarket, I have dealt with it time and time again, also the price difference, if any isnt much at all...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.