98 wrx running very rich

This is a discussion on 98 wrx running very rich within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my wrx seems to be running very rich. it has a very strong fume smell when its running and seems ...

98 wrx running very rich

my wrx seems to be running very rich. it has a very strong fume smell when its running and seems to really destroy the fuel. possible seems like there is unburnt fuel getting pushed through the engine.

it also sometimes has a little sputter/miss of some sort right before the turbo comes on, particularly if i sit at the rev/speed for a second or two.

i had the fuel pressure checked a week or two ago after changing the fuel pump and they told me the pressure was fine, however i do feel maybe the reg is gone? any suggestions in to what this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    • Bad/dirty MAF
    • Bad 02 sensor
    • Boost leak
    • Bad spark plugs
    • Leaking injector
    • Bad compression
    • bad valve
    • off cam timing
    I would first try a simple tune up including cleaning the MAF. Just assuming the car is running rich and knowing the car is running rich are two different things. A wideband 02 sensor would show you the vehicles actual AFR. List your mods.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

hmmm its doing my head in, its chugging down the fuel like theres no tomorrow, and the smell isnt so pleasant.

i bought with a few things done to it, from what i know its got a 3" exhaust, aftermarket bov, fmic, pod filter, boost controller, and i have no idea what ecu is in it.

how would i know theres a boost leak? because my vacuum/boost gauge only reads vacuum, however the mechanic was under the impression that its just a cheap **** gauge and wasnt working properly.

i also noticed on the engine plate, someone has stamped "STI V2" themselves, im thinking maybe this is some relation to a changed ecu or something?