98 wrx running very rich
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 98 wrx running very rich within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my wrx seems to be running very rich. it has a very strong fume smell when its running and seems ...

98 wrx running very rich

my wrx seems to be running very rich. it has a very strong fume smell when its running and seems to really destroy the fuel. possible seems like there is unburnt fuel getting pushed through the engine.

it also sometimes has a little sputter/miss of some sort right before the turbo comes on, particularly if i sit at the rev/speed for a second or two.

i had the fuel pressure checked a week or two ago after changing the fuel pump and they told me the pressure was fine, however i do feel maybe the reg is gone? any suggestions in to what this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    • Bad/dirty MAF
    • Bad 02 sensor
    • Boost leak
    • Bad spark plugs
    • Leaking injector
    • Bad compression
    • bad valve
    • off cam timing
    I would first try a simple tune up including cleaning the MAF. Just assuming the car is running rich and knowing the car is running rich are two different things. A wideband 02 sensor would show you the vehicles actual AFR. List your mods.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

hmmm its doing my head in, its chugging down the fuel like theres no tomorrow, and the smell isnt so pleasant.

i bought with a few things done to it, from what i know its got a 3" exhaust, aftermarket bov, fmic, pod filter, boost controller, and i have no idea what ecu is in it.

how would i know theres a boost leak? because my vacuum/boost gauge only reads vacuum, however the mechanic was under the impression that its just a cheap **** gauge and wasnt working properly.

i also noticed on the engine plate, someone has stamped "STI V2" themselves, im thinking maybe this is some relation to a changed ecu or something?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.