fuel filter

This is a discussion on fuel filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This may sound like a dumb questions but where and how long does the fuel filter take to change? Figured ...

fuel filter

This may sound like a dumb questions but where and how long does the fuel filter take to change? Figured i'd just asked on here and see what i get thanks in advance
    ...it takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Advice for future threads, when asking advice for things, please include the year and model of your car, that way we won't have to go looking for it.

You have an 03 WRX according to your profile, it shouldn't take any more than 10-15 minutes.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would advise running the fuel pressure out of the car. I read on here you didnt need to, and man when i unhooked the hose to the filter I had gasoline shooting all over the place with a lot of pressure. Not fun to clean up lol.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

oh yea sorry it is a 03 and where is the filter located and how would you let the pressure off? Never chaned one before on a suby thanks for the info
    ...it takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dhm8484 View Post
    oh yea sorry it is a 03 and where is the filter located and how would you let the pressure off? Never chaned one before on a suby thanks for the info
    Fuel filter is located in the top right of your engine bay if you're looking down from the front. Little cylinder with two lines coming out of it.

Easiest way to let off the pressure is to take the fuse out for the fuel pump, start the car, and let it stall on it's own. Voila.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Easiest way to let off the pressure is to take the fuse out for the fuel pump, start the car, and let it stall on it's own. Voila.
    Parking the car and going to sleep usually works too if there's no hurry, but I'm lazy sometimes. If my car were not a bugeye I would probably not change the fuel filter every time the manual calls for it -- I think the fuel in most of the developed world is OK. The bugeye is easy to do though and the filter is cheap.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Parking the car and going to sleep usually works too if there's no hurry, but I'm lazy sometimes. If my car were not a bugeye I would probably not change the fuel filter every time the manual calls for it -- I think the fuel in most of the developed world is OK. The bugeye is easy to do though and the filter is cheap.
    Agreed, but for those who need their cars to get to and from the parts store and need it for DD'ing around it's not always an option

Also, that's likely the reason why Subaru has said that newer models (06+) don't need the fuel filters changed and made them basically nonserviceable parts. I agree though, the only time I changed it on my bugeye was when I was having misfire problems.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

ok great thanks for the input, my bugeye just turned 67,000 and not sure if it was ever changed at all so since its cheap and easy to get to might as well change it up, besides im getting ready to go stage 2 here by the time winter comes haha

finally changed the fuel filter and it made the engine idle smoother, and the fuel that i blow out of the old filter was the color of rust water i guess it need changed after all haha