Evap Emissions issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Evap Emissions issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 wrx wagon, all stock besides cob 1 just hit 100k I am getting a P0456 code, ...

Question Evap Emissions issue

I have an 02 wrx wagon, all stock besides cob 1
    just hit 100k

I am getting a P0456 code, Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small)

and occasionally
    P0457 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Cap loose or off)

at first i figured bad fuel cap, so i just picked one up from autozone which didn't work
    so i picked one up from subaru, also didn't work

i have been under the car and looked at the solenoid wiring and filler neck, and as far as i can tell it all looks good.

i also had the dealer run a smoke test with no results.

however this just caught my eye
    the lass few times filling up, i found the inside of my fuel cap and filler neck are soaked in gasoline as well as the rubber seal.
    and by the inside i mean from the seal to the threads
    and yes i always tighten the gas cap very well

i dont really know much about the fuel system, but i dont think that there should be pressure forcing gasoline to and even through a well sealed gas cap.

so i am stuck on this one, please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ohhh boy, that is basically the same issue I have, still no resolution, once it gets real hot outside (95+) I start smelling fuel but the evap codes will go off whenever they feel the need.

I have replaced the gasket on my fuel pump lid as well as the sensor lid on the opposite side, replaced fuel cap, pulled cleaned inspected all evap hoses under the passenger rear, checked filler neck, replaced charcoal box, smoke tested..... nothing, next week I will be replacing the solenoid after that I'm just going to get a bunch of fuel line and replace everything. Fort the last 2 summers i have spent entirely too much time trying to figure out this issue.

It never did me any good to bring it to a shop either since they could never smell the fuel while it was there, and smoke test came up empty.

Best of luck to you, i'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Fuel smell from trunk.
    Carpe Diem!

My 03 Bugeye is cooler than your mom

Bugeye Mafia #222

thanks for the post, let me know how it goes.

also i think i posted the wrong code numbers before, however the descriptions i typed were correct, i will post back tomorrow with the correct code numbers

p0442 not p0456 sry

Question help please

If anyone has some input please let me know

I am still getting the p0442 and sometimes p0457

Like i said before my fuel cap is getting fuel on it, so i really feel this is a venting issue and not actually an emissions leak somewhere. I believe the code is getting thrown because fuel is escaping from the gas cap, even when tight.

If anyone has any know how on the venting system and where i should start, please let me know.

replaced the vent control valve and rewired the clip.
    has been about a week with no code, im thinking its fixed

easy part to replace, one bolt holding it on(assuming your bolt wont be as rusted as mine)
    and hoses are held in place with only friction

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.