Am I being gouged?

This is a discussion on Am I being gouged? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, My car is a 2005 wrx with 77,000 miles. I have an oil leak from behind the timing belt ...

Am I being gouged?

Hi,

My car is a 2005 wrx with 77,000 miles.

I have an oil leak from behind the timing belt cover. I am at school right now and my car is at home so my dad took it into a local shop. He goes there often and trusts the guys that work there.

What they want to do is take off the timing belt cover (and everything else in the way) and try to find the leak. On top of that, given the age and mileage on the car, they say it is wise to replace the following items:

Timing Belt
    Timing Belt Tensioner
    Water Pump
    Water Pump Gasket
    Crank Seal
    Thermostat Gasket
    Oil Pump

Overall they have quoted this at about $1400 with parts and labor. This was a bit of a shock to me, considering it is just an oil leak. However the parts will have to be replaced eventually (I believe the service interval is around 105,000 miles?) and the guy says we might as well do it all now if we are going to have it all torn apart anyways.

What do you think? Does he have a point, or is he just being greedy?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    The water pump, water pump gasket, and oil pump I wouldn't call "recommended" at all.

Especially the oil pump... not necessary at all.

The rest of the stuff though..... would be smart to do while it is apart.

You may be able to knock that price down considerably if you:

1. Cut out the water and oil pump.
    2. Bring your own timing parts.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I Support ClubWRX
    The thinking is if the front needs to be stripped down to find a leak replace some of the compnenets. I'd agree on this.

If the timing belt is being done, do the water pump too as it will cheaper in the long run in terms of labor. This makes sense for many engines.

Replacing the thermostat makes sense as well for the same labor $aving reason. I'd be wary of the other items unless they are the cause of the leak.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-24-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Just following up:

Leak turned out to be the oil cooler. I replaced the cooler, water pump, timing belt, and tensioner. Skipped the oil pump.

Thanks for the insight guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Elad05 View Post
    Just following up:

Leak turned out to be the oil cooler. I replaced the cooler, water pump, timing belt, and tensioner. Skipped the oil pump.

Thanks for the insight guys.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics