Screw Oil Change places...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Screw Oil Change places... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I moved back to my parents home about a month ago. When I had my old STI, I always ...

Screw Oil Change places...

So I moved back to my parents home about a month ago. When I had my old STI, I always went to this one oil change place because they were good. I always took all my cars there. They were knowledgeable, good with cars, good people, and pretty good prices. Never had a problem...

So my current STI was in need of an oil change, so I took it there on my "Mental Health Day off" from work today. They changed ownership, but some of the same guys still worked there. So I got my basic oil change...they finish up in about 15 minutes...and bam: $46.50 it comes out to...WTF???

It used to cost me $27 after taxes all said and done, including crush washer, Mobil dyno oil, etc...I asked the guy what gives, and he said he doesn't know...but they did implement a $10 "skid plate" fee to remove and put back the skid plate under the car...Are effing kidding me???

Needless to say, I will never be going back there again. And I know some of you will say "just change your own oil" but I just don't have the time and patience to do it myself, ergo why I always went to the reputable place.

Thanks for listening to my rant

/Rant
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Some of us
    "just change your own oil"

Apartment or not there has to be someplace you can do this. Even when I was an apartment dweller at a had friends or places of work where I could do basic work.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry that happened. Over the years I've changed oil in various cars/bikes in my apartment parking lot, our condo parking lot when we were first married, and my parents front yard when I was 16. Finally getting a garage at age 30 was the best thing ever.

I've taken the Rayngar to quick places, but I've always changed the WRX myself, IIRC. Trust issues, I suppose.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Trust issues, I suppose.
    Agreed.

Mike, Whereabouts do you live? PM if you'd like.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

The corolla before the current wrx and the wrx get oil changes at the dealer... for the sole reason of developing a warranty packet. Other than that, every car/truck I've ever owned was maintained/modified by myself and self only.

I really dont trust people at quick change shops. Many many times when I was working at a VW/BMW dealer in NY did people come in with leaky pans or for a oil change to find that a quick lube had used a impact wrench to put in the drain plug and destroyed the pan.

It was really common to find where they'd removed the splash pan but not returned it to the car. I bet those shops are still charging that $10 for the "skid plate" and not even putting half of them back on.

Go where the labor is cheap.. get cheap result. .. Its unfortunate but very true.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

My buddy just bought an Mr2 and wanted to go get the oil done... he went and did it at a place that charged$ 30 or so... then he said it ran funny... well I took a look at it and it had an oils filter on it and we pulled the plug at the bottom and no joke... it looked like chocolate milk... ill never ever have someone else chang my oil... what if that was my car? Id be MAD
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

nestly quick oil is a result from water intrusion. Either contaminated oil that they're using or he's got a blown head gasket.. the latter wouldn't be the fault of the guys changing the oil. If their oil is contaminated though.. thats their fault entirely and they're responsible for damages.

really hard to prove though. I'd do a compression check on that mr2 before going after the quick lube. Just my 2c.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Oil changes are 50% more expensive here in VA than they were in TX. I'm used to getting dino of my choice + my car being vacuumed and windows cleaned inside and out for $28. Here it's $45 just for the oil change (no skid plate on either of our cars). I think I got a $75 quote for synthetic oil. My jaw dropped.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Oil changes are 50% more expensive here in VA than they were in TX. I'm used to getting dino of my choice + my car being vacuumed and windows cleaned inside and out for $28. Here it's $45 just for the oil change (no skid plate on either of our cars). I think I got a $75 quote for synthetic oil. My jaw dropped.
    You don't DIY? With all you've done to your WRX?
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You don't DIY? With all you've done to your WRX?
    No, because it used to cost roughly the same to do it myself as it would to have a shop do it. I watch them do the work and check everything afterwards anyways.

I Support ClubWRX
    No, because it used to cost roughly the same to do it myself as it would to have a shop do it. I watch them do the work and check everything afterwards anyways.
    I get satisfaction DIY-ing all I am able to. If DIY was costlier, I think I'd still do it.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    After years of doing it myself and to millions of other cara that rolled thru the shop I won't change my own oil. I can't tell you why but I won't.. I completely disassembled a perfectly good running car, painted it the color I wanted it, installed everything I wanted in it, including a full drivetrain in my garage.. But I won't change my own oil.. LOL

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I get satisfaction DIY-ing all I am able to. If DIY was costlier, I think I'd still do it.
    Well, it really just depends on what it is. I'm a walking accident, so I break stuff often. A mere grounding kit install on my part ended up with the car no longer functioning when I broke the bolt holding on a critical grounding point to the intake manifold. I had to rig a contraption up out of tape to hold it down so I could take it to a shop to have the bolt drilled out and the hole enlarged and re-threaded. How many people do you know have disabled an entire car while doing one of the most simple-minded jobs there is.

Though, I did just take part in Heather's 15.5 hr clutch install. Hopefully her transmission doesn't break in the next 1,000 miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, it really just depends on what it is. I'm a walking accident, so I break stuff often. A mere grounding kit install on my part ended up with the car no longer functioning when I broke the bolt holding on a critical grounding point to the intake manifold. I had to rig a contraption up out of tape to hold it down so I could take it to a shop to have the bolt drilled out and the hole enlarged and re-threaded. How many people do you know have disabled an entire car while doing one of the most simple-minded jobs there is.
    I've done my share of bungled work myself and then some. Maybe not to the degree of the one extreme example you cite. Things like that happen.

I can easily find myself cussing and throwing a mild tantrum when something does not go right. The thread I posted about my turbo swap comes to mind. I suck at turbo swaps

But when I am finished I have a good feeling that I accomplished something.
    Mods & Pics

I don't change my own oil. I tried a few times. Each time I made a very big mess on my Garage floor, and it was about the same price as if I had jiffy lube do it.

I'll continue to change my own manual transmission fluid though. $100 for a drain and fill? No thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast