Screw Oil Change places... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Screw Oil Change places... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by T0rque Maybe it's my amazing skills but I have yet to break a bolt.. How do you ...

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Maybe it's my amazing skills but I have yet to break a bolt.. How do you guys manage this
    I've broken bolts.. but only extremely old and rusty ones.. the kind you look at and think "awww man this is definitely going to SUCK" ..

PENETRATING OIL, HEAT AND HARMONICS are your friends.. use them liberally.

another reason I've never broken off a bolt in good condition is because I use the right tools (for this I thank my father.. I'll forever remember him saying " bigger isn't better, just makes it easier to break things") and he's dead on correct.

Little bolts get little tools (1/4" drive) .. medium bolts get medium tools (1/2" drive) .. etc. Using only enough force to break the bolt loose.. without breaking it off. Leverage is your friend, but misused it will be your arch enemy.

The biggest factor is PRACTICE. After a while you can feel that point just before a bolt is going to let go or round off.. that is the point where you STOP and try another approach.

Sometimes, especially on old rusty beasts.. stuff is going to break, but if you try oil/heat/harmonics first you're likely to get out with minimal carnage.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i love my 14$ at home oil changes :]

IIRC my fiance once paid 75 bucks to get his oil changed on his old srt-4. dont know what he was thinking. for 75 bucks that oil change shouldve came with a chauffeur or something.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I very rarely break bolts. Never tightening, and only once in a blue moon loosening. The secret for loosening is a quick jerk to the wrench or ratchet to free the fastener. When you slowly apply pressure to the fastener until it moves, you are more likely to snap it.
    Yes ^ this.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

With the new synthetic requirement for the 2011 WRX, I won't be able to afford to have it done! I'm a DIYer anyway, and also prefer to do things myself. I was pretty anal with my last car, I will probably be 10x more with this one.

When it comes to bolts, I've found it's all about the right tools. I managed to (mostly) strip a 3/4" hex head with some cheap, Harbor Freight 12 point wrenches. Went out & bought some Craftsman 6 points and the bolt came right out.

+1 to heat, oil, the right tools, and "snapping" action. I usually use a brass hammer...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I do my own oil changes, plus I work at a shop so it benefits me..its actually really easy on subaru's because the drain plg and oil filter are right next to each other unlike other vehicles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234