Screw Oil Change places... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Screw Oil Change places... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 And until this thread, I never knew where to get rid of used oil...but that's a ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    And until this thread, I never knew where to get rid of used oil...but that's a positive now
    Just dump it down the nearest sewer drain
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ...so I just don't have the time to dedicate to an oil change.
    roffleclamf....you'll excuse me..working parents universally laugh when folks talk about being busy, and it's due to visiting friends, playing sports, shore houses...

With respect, Mikie, it sounds like you don't want to do it. And that's fine...I think most of us regularly pay other people to do things that we don't want to do.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow this has certainly become a hot thread...

Bill, I do have a place where I can do my oil...I am back at my parents' house now and we have an adequate driveway with a garage (that has too much in it to work in, but anyway...). Its not so much the means, its more or less the time and hassle. I'm rarely around on weekends (shore house in the summer, different road trips visiting friends around the area for the weekends, playing many different sports/activities, etc)...so I just don't have the time to dedicate to an oil change. Yes it may be quick, but the prepping, cleanup, and proper disposal isn't something I want to deal with.

The place I went to USED to be a very reputable place that I had known for a long time. I was on first name basis with the head Tech that worked there and always verified proper materials, filters, and quality oil were used.

And until this thread, I never knew where to get rid of used oil...but that's a positive now
    OK then. Thought I'd offer some help, although me thinks you are not all that close.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You had better be kidding!

Wal-Mart and Advance Auto are two locally I know of. Many other national chains will take used oil. I dump mine at a local Sunoco station.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    I just tried to find a picture of the oil-drain-pan combination bucket I have been using. Only to find much better options now exist.
    I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid this weekend, maybe I should invest in a new setup.
    Aye.

I still use the same plastic drain pan I used on my first car ... think it's about 30 years old by now. It makes pouring back into an empty 5 quart bottle (with an even older funnel) a snap.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    roffleclamf....you'll excuse me..working parents universally laugh when folks talk about being busy, and it's due to visiting friends, playing sports, shore houses...

With respect, Mikie, it sounds like you don't want to do it. And that's fine...I think most of us regularly pay other people to do things that we don't want to do.

Did I not mention that in my list of excuses? I think what it comes down to is not so much that I don't wanna do it...there are just MANY other things I'd rather be doing
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    OK then. Thought I'd offer some help, although me thinks you are not all that close.

I appreciate the offer Bill...yous good people!

But you are correct, I'm not that close to your area at all. I'm about 15 minutes south of Trenton now that I'm back at home. Even before, I was in Manayunk/Philly...which was still about 45 min north, right?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I appreciate the offer Bill...yous good people!

But you are correct, I'm not that close to your area at all. I'm about 15 minutes south of Trenton now that I'm back at home. Even before, I was in Manayunk/Philly...which was still about 45 min north, right?
    ~ 45 min NW yes.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Discretion: the better part of valour.

With a Fumoto valve installed, an oil filter properly hand tightened previously, and a little luck, one can perform a tool-free oil change almost anywhere and relatively quickly. A large, covered oil pan and a funnel is all that's needed. The pan can be taken directly to the recycler and emptied there etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    With a Fumoto valve installed, an oil filter properly hand tightened previously, and a little luck, one can perform a tool-free oil change almost anywhere and relatively quickly. A large, covered oil pan and a funnel is all that's needed. The pan can be taken directly to the recycler and emptied there etc.
    I know many people use them, but I'd just be so afraid of the valve opening on its own.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Have you used a Fumoto valve? I've considered one from time to time.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    You had better be kidding!

Wal-Mart and Advance Auto are two locally I know of. Many other national chains will take used oil. I dump mine at a local Sunoco station.
    Not sure about NJ/PA, but in NY, any place that does oil changes has to take it.

Have you used a Fumoto valve? I've considered one from time to time.
    I've run one on my car for about a year; I love it. No more crush washers, and it makes an oil change a much cleaner job than before. The only downside is it takes a bit longer to drain all the old oil out, but I usually just leave my car on the ramps for a while and have a few beers...

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal
    I know many people use them, but I'd just be so afraid of the valve opening on its own.
    That'd be tough. It's sorta like the childproof pill bottles, in that it's not just one motion to open it. You need to pull down or push up (I forget which right now) and then rotate the lever.
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-25-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I know we're onto a different topic... but... add another broken/stripped bolt to my list. I stripped the head completely off of the bolt holding the bracket to my head unit. Had to drill that one out. A mixture of impatience/stupidity was the cause for this one... God, I suck
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I use a Fumoto on my Honda and it's on the shopping list for all my cars. The lever has to be pulled down and then pushed back to open the valve. The valve is high quality and I've not had any problems. If the car is very low, OK I see the fear - best to stick with the stock drain plug. But for reasonable suspensions and no off-road stuff it should be fine. There is also the possibility of using a spring clamp on the lever to add further protection.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    +1 to the do it yourself crowd. I never let anyone else work on my car unless I'm there, or it's the one friend I trust to do it. I think this is one of the reasons why it's lasted as long as it has with zero issues. I don't trust people who have an incentive to get your car out the door as fast as possible.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.