Screw Oil Change places... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Screw Oil Change places... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by jeremy96gase I don't change my own oil. I tried a few times. Each time I made a ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    I don't change my own oil. I tried a few times. Each time I made a very big mess on my Garage floor, and it was about the same price as if I had jiffy lube do it.

I'll continue to change my own manual transmission fluid though. $100 for a drain and fill? No thanks.
    Really? Did you use a drain pan?

The engine oil is far more accessible and easier to fill to the exact level. No jacking or ramps needed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    nestly quick oil is a result from water intrusion. Either contaminated oil that they're using or he's got a blown head gasket.. the latter wouldn't be the fault of the guys changing the oil. If their oil is contaminated though.. thats their fault entirely and they're responsible for damages.

really hard to prove though. I'd do a compression check on that mr2 before going after the quick lube. Just my 2c.
    That's actually pretty helpful.. maybe he does have a blown head gasket... looks like a fun day coming up! Haha
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

I take mine in cause if I were to do it myself id only save about $2... there is a shop that does it for $18 and its not worth the time to do it and have to run to the parts store twice...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Well, it really just depends on what it is. I'm a walking accident, so I break stuff often.
    +1 I'm with Justin on this one. I seem to break more bolts than I should, even when only applying linear force

But I will never again set foot in a Jiffy Lube after they overtorqued the drain nut and broke my plug gasket. Leaked out a whole quart of oil in 2 weeks and refused to replace the gasket
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Really? Did you use a drain pan?

The engine oil is far more accessible and easier to fill to the exact level. No jacking or ramps needed.
    I just tried to find a picture of the oil-drain-pan combination bucket I have been using. Only to find much better options now exist.
    I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid this weekend, maybe I should invest in a new setup.

hahaha.. yeah proper drain pans really do make or break the cleanliness of the job at hand. As said on all cars but the new ones I've owned (only two so far) I've done all the maintenance other than alignments and tire changes (just dont have those tools to work with, if I did.. I'd do that too ) There is no replacement for good tools. If it saves you time/mess/headache its well worth spending a lil dough for better tools.

this includes drain buckets/pans

edit:

forgot to mention, in case you guys didn't know.. Autozone will take your waste oil in quantities up to 5 gal/month.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-24-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

forgot to mention, in case you guys didn't know.. Autozone will take your waste oil in quantities up to 5 gal/month.
    This is a good point. Most autoparts stores will take your waste oils and antifreeze (separate bins).
    Oil includes: Engine Oil, Transmission Fluid, ATF, brake fluid and other stuff too.
    Antifreeze: Anything that's suppose to be used in the cooling system.

Registered User JoseCorpseGrind's Avatar
    I've only taken my car to oil change place once in my life and it was because it was ungodly cold outside. Decided to check real quick it once I got home, my engine bay had what appeared to be orange soda all over it.

Never again.
    2003 wrx

"Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less. "

zax
    As does Advance Auto Parts. I bought two 5 gallon buckets that I periodically fill/empty with waste oil.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe it's my amazing skills but I have yet to break a bolt.. How do you guys manage this

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    One thing that's not accounted for...I enjoy doing it. Find a Saturday morning that's not saturated with kid events, put on headphones, and go spend some easy-going time in the garage.

Can't say I've ever broken a bolt changing the oil..isn't the torque spec for it something like 33 ft-lbs? Actually, I don't think I broke anything when I took off the rusty down and up on my WRX at 66,000 miles. PBBlaster is your friend. A wise man once told me to saturate the bolts for a few days before the big operation. The garage smelled to high heaven but the bolts nearly fell off.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Can't say I've ever broken a bolt changing the oil..isn't the torque spec for it something like 33 ft-lbs?
    I have yet to break the drain plug bolt, but I have broken every other bolt keeping my chassis together at one time or another

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    I very rarely break bolts. Never tightening, and only once in a blue moon loosening. The secret for loosening is a quick jerk to the wrench or ratchet to free the fastener. When you slowly apply pressure to the fastener until it moves, you are more likely to snap it.

Brfatal, when you snapped the ground strap bolt why didn't you just ground to a different bolt on the manifold or block for the meantime?

Also, 15.5 hours on a clutch install? Good god! What went wrong?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, whenever it gets hairy I go with PB, a six sided wrench, and BFH.

I have stripped one bolt on the WRX thus far and it was also a manifold bolt I was using to attach a ground for the wideband. I didn't stop to think that the de-oxit contact preservative would function as a lube and hence pulled the threads with the torque wrench set correctly Luckily that one was a deep hole and a longer bolt fixed it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Wow this has certainly become a hot thread...

Bill, I do have a place where I can do my oil...I am back at my parents' house now and we have an adequate driveway with a garage (that has too much in it to work in, but anyway...). Its not so much the means, its more or less the time and hassle. I'm rarely around on weekends (shore house in the summer, different road trips visiting friends around the area for the weekends, playing many different sports/activities, etc)...so I just don't have the time to dedicate to an oil change. Yes it may be quick, but the prepping, cleanup, and proper disposal isn't something I want to deal with.

The place I went to USED to be a very reputable place that I had known for a long time. I was on first name basis with the head Tech that worked there and always verified proper materials, filters, and quality oil were used.

And until this thread, I never knew where to get rid of used oil...but that's a positive now
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast