2003 A/C Clutch - Repairable???

This is a discussion on 2003 A/C Clutch - Repairable??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know if its possible to repair the clutch on the A/C compressor? I've been trying to searc this ...

2003 A/C Clutch - Repairable???

Does anyone know if its possible to repair the clutch on the A/C compressor? I've been trying to searc this but not having much luck? My A/C was working amazing and blow ice cold air, but the clutch has seized up. I've had to pull the belt off for now. Cold weather is coming, so I'd love to see if I could remove it and try to repair it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would like to know also. My '02s AC clutch is getting louder when it engages, a louder clack. It would be great to be able to replace it myself without removing the compressor and de-pressurizing the system.

Quote Originally Posted by shankster26 View Post
    Does anyone know if its possible to repair the clutch on the A/C compressor? I've been trying to searc this but not having much luck? My A/C was working amazing and blow ice cold air, but the clutch has seized up. I've had to pull the belt off for now. Cold weather is coming, so I'd love to see if I could remove it and try to repair it?
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Its a sealed unit i think. Same happened to mine 2 years ago, I just cut the belt and have been running without it ever since. It got so bad that the clutch was completely locked and the belt was grinding itself down, throwing rubber all over my engine bay. Smelled like burning rubber when i drove too.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Isn't the clutch a pretty cheap part? The compressor goes for $50 or less on eBay.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

^ If this is true please post part numbers. I asked my tuner/shop owner when mine originally went out, he said the entire compressor has to be replaced.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

I Support ClubWRX
    The clutch and compressor are two separate parts, but are almost always sold together. Neither part is cheap new, but can be had together for about $100 from a salvage yard.

If you want to avoid the repair for the winter, simply remove the AC belt.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The compressor goes for $50 or less on eBay.

If that's the case, it must be a well used unit.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff