steering wheel locked up while driving

This is a discussion on steering wheel locked up while driving within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i was driving my 2008 impreza when the following lights came on ABS,incline assist, traction control, check engine, ...

steering wheel locked up while driving

Hey guys i was driving my 2008 impreza when the following lights came on ABS,incline assist, traction control, check engine, and cruse control. Then my cars steering wheel locked up and i had to turn off the car and pull up on the hand brake to stop the car. I hope I am not the only one that this has happened to because i need to know if there is a cheap way to get this fixed with out going to the dealer (i am on a very fixed income and cant afford dealer prices)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like the car stalled.

If the car out of warranty?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

As mentioned if the vehicle is still in warranty I would def. bring it in, however if it is not..Does the car start up as of now? What happens if it doesnt? Does it just make a clicking sound/ or does it actually crank? when/if the car does start is the CEL illuminated?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    As mentioned if the vehicle is still in warranty I would def. bring it in, however if it is not..Does the car start up as of now? What happens if it doesnt? Does it just make a clicking sound/ or does it actually crank? when/if the car does start is the CEL illuminated?
    it does start up now. I think i found the problem the clamp used to keep the air mainframe on was really loose i tightened it and it has been good so far

You should take it to the dealer and confirm that was the problem since this is a serious safety issue. It's still under warranty correct?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You should take it to the dealer and confirm that was the problem since this is a serious safety issue. It's still under warranty correct?
    not at all because of the distance from my home to my old job i have put 50k on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbots View Post
    it does start up now. I think i found the problem the clamp used to keep the air mainframe on was really loose i tightened it and it has been good so far

Is the CEL still illuminated? Depending on what part of the intake your talking about Idk If I would really believe that was the issue (as mentioned)... most of the air intake parts on the 08 Impreza fit pretty snug even if the clamp was left loose...

Is the CEL still illuminated? Depending on what part of the intake your talking about Idk If I would really believe that was the issue (as mentioned)... most of the air intake parts on the 08 Impreza fit pretty snug even if the clamp was left loose...
    it was loose to the touch. when i poked it with my finger it came out. after i clamped it, it was fine :-D. Whats going on now is that my ABS + T/C + Hill Descent lights are stuck on. So i checked my front brakes "which i changed 3 months ago" and it had full pads the rear pads where thin so i replaced them. I have driven about 50 miles on the new pads and the lights are still on. I checked the brake master cylinder and it had fluid and when i mash on the brake I have pressure. I went on a incline to test the hand brake and it worked and I am at wits end to figure out why these last 3 lights are on. any clues to what else i could do?

it was loose to the touch. when i poked it with my finger it came out. after i clamped it, it was fine :-D. Whats going on now is that my ABS + T/C + Hill Descent lights are stuck on. So i checked my front brakes "which i changed 3 months ago" and it had full pads the rear pads where thin so i replaced them. I have driven about 50 miles on the new pads and the lights are still on. I checked the brake master cylinder and it had fluid and when i mash on the brake I have pressure. I went on a incline to test the hand brake and it worked and I am at wits end to figure out why these last 3 lights are on. any clues to what else i could do?
    What happens if you clear the memory of the ABS/VDC system? What codes are present? Do the lights immediately come back on? Is the CEL still illuminated?

What happens if you clear the memory of the ABS/VDC system? What codes are present? Do the lights immediately come back on? Is the CEL still illuminated?
    thankfully the Check Engine Light is not on, but how do you clear the memory of the ABS system? Because when i turn off the car and turn it back one I dont get the 3 lights until i go up a hill they it says on the entire drive.

i would unplug the battery then hold down the brake for a bit just to get rid of residual charge. plug it back in and see if that helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

thankfully the Check Engine Light is not on, but how do you clear the memory of the ABS system? Because when i turn off the car and turn it back one I dont get the 3 lights until i go up a hill they it says on the entire drive.

I would pull the codes out the ABS system first, you will most likely have to go to the dealer and they will use the SSMIII to do it. I'm sure other scan tools have the ability however they are mostly the high end snap on scanners and such...