High pitched noise after gutted uppipe

This is a discussion on High pitched noise after gutted uppipe within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last Sunday I gutted my uppipe on my 2002 WRX with 107k. I got a chance to actually drive ...

High pitched noise after gutted uppipe

So last Sunday I gutted my uppipe on my 2002 WRX with 107k. I got a chance to actually drive it yesterday and get up into boost and noticed a high pitched almost scream sound around 3200 rpm that actually drowns out engine noise. I am thinking it is the turbo since i only noticed it under boost but it seems really loud. It seems to drive fine and holds boost but this is my first car and first real mod. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for any input.
    The video below is first a walk around of the car in case anything sounds abnormal there, then a 1st - 4th gear pull up a hill to 45 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAZp6KcAUAU
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 08-18-2010 at 07:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like a leak. Check the up pipe again.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Leak for sure, did you replace the gaskets? If not, you will now!

Make sure when you put everything back together that you tighten the bolts down equally so they seat and seal properly.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Wouldn't a leak make noise even when not in boost? For example if i am parked in neutral i can rev to 5k and not hear it at all, in or out of the car also when coming down the hill i can keep it in 3rd at 40mph and have rpms up around 4k and not hear it at all either. Thanks again.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yup. You have to buy new gaskets.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

yeah I tried the old put copper liquid gasket on the old ones and let it set for a day but I guess I'll have to spring for new ones haha. In the mean time is there any risk to my car driving it as it is staying out of boost?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    Wouldn't a leak make noise even when not in boost? For example if i am parked in neutral i can rev to 5k and not hear it at all, in or out of the car also when coming down the hill i can keep it in 3rd at 40mph and have rpms up around 4k and not hear it at all either. Thanks again.
    Depends on the size of the leak. Small ones like the one you likely have might not be apparent until air is pressurized enough to make itself known.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

One thing I was thinking was since I have the stock IC hoses maybe I didn't quite get the one from the turbo on fully and maybe that is causing the noise? I'll check everything out once the engine is cool. Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    One thing I was thinking was since I have the stock IC hoses maybe I didn't quite get the one from the turbo on fully and maybe that is causing the noise?
    This is an audiophile question now... I can't tell from the audio in your clip. I've heard both a proper up pipe leak and a hose leak. The former sounds like a wild animal. The latter can sometimes sound more warbly or fluttery, as the hose surface can distort and change the pitch of the noise (not kidding, it's weird!).

I'd put your noise closer to wild animal but in person it'd be easier to tell. Safest to check everything as you plan anyway.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I would definitely say wild animal haha as it doesn't seem to fluctuate at all. I'm looking at gaskets now should I order stock metal ones or are the non metal composite ones just as good?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The ones from the dealer are really good. I would stay away from most of the others (ask Ray).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Grimmspeed makes good gaskets. IMHO
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I put on all new OEM gaskets and problem solved. Thanks for the help guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    I put on all new OEM gaskets and problem solved. Thanks for the help guys!
    it's what we're here for. Glad it's all good now.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!