Question about a part getting removed friday

This is a discussion on Question about a part getting removed friday within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats up people. So, I posted a while back about my CEL (code P2443). My car is relatively new, and ...

Question about a part getting removed friday

Whats up people. So, I posted a while back about my CEL (code P2443). My car is relatively new, and I still have to pass emissions. I actually had to apply for the extension, but luckily its like another 4 months or so.

Anyway... went to the shop a couple weeks ago and discussed the cheapest and most practical way to remedy this situation. For those of you who dont know, the code refers to the secondary air injection system switching valve stuck closed, of which there are two. Replacing the valve(s) is a ton of labor, so the owner of the shop proposed just deleting the entire air injection system, and the codes that go with it on my AP. The valves will be covered up with blocking plates, and I will be able to pass emissions no prob.

This is getting done on friday, its about 4 hours of labor (guy says he can take out everything without pulling the manifold-- replacing parts would have been a different story). Just wondering if any of you 06/07s experienced this problem and dealt with it in this way. I really think it sucks, but I dont see another option. It could be the humidity in my area causing the valves to stick, so if I were to replace the parts ($$$$$) they might just fail again later. Im a little down about my car not having one of its originals parts, but from what Ive read, warming up the cats when you start the car isnt a big deal anyway and it will have 0 affect on the car.

So with the last few days before the deed gets done, help me out if you can share the results from a similar experience please. Thanks!
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I did that about a month ago... I just deleted the dtc codes off my map and put on the blocking plates... I left the system on there (didn't want to take off the manifold) and left the pump in cause there is an atmosphereic sensor in the pump itself... I also pulled the relay and fuse to it... it runs great and have had 0 problems...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Excellent. Now was there a reason you did it? Or just wanted to free up space/weight? I am doing it so I can pass freakin emissions.. haha

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

No... the thing went out on me and I refused to pay the $1100 to fix something so meaningless... if I were you id just go to p&l motorsports and order blocking plates and just do it yourself... the plates are only 30 and it will take about 2 hours of your time... I was going to do a write up about it, but my home isp has been screwed up for a couple of monthe now...

You shouldn't have any problems with emmissions as long as they don't do a visual inspection and you delete the cel codes... it only wars up your cats for about a minute when you first start up your car... so its pretty much worthless... as long as the car is at normal temps you shouldn't have any problems...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

Good deal. But theres no way in hell I can do it myself haha. I go to one place for everything, they live & breath subaru.

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Good deal. But theres no way in hell I can do it myself haha. I go to one place for everything, they live & breath subaru.
    Its not really that hard... if you want to pay to have it done for 4 hours would be about 400 just for labor, but they'll actually take it completely out for you is a plus... its really your call cause you can have it taken care of with just $30 outa pocket or whatever they are quoating you for it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I appreciate your input but paying the labor costs is less than it would cost to have the car brought back to life if I attempted anything like this

Trust me, I wish I was as mechanically inclined as some of the people on this site, but Im not. My skills lie in other areas

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    I appreciate your input but paying the labor costs is less than it would cost to have the car brought back to life if I attempted anything like this

Trust me, I wish I was as mechanically inclined as some of the people on this site, but Im not. My skills lie in other areas
    Yeah.. I see... I'm no subbie expert either, but the best way to learn is to do it yourself... plus there is a sense of pride knowing that you did it yourself and saved a good chunk of money... just my oppinion... you said you have an ap... just delete the dtc codes off your map and pull the fuse and relay and your pretty much good to go... with little to no effort and the car still looks stock... there are 15 dtc codes for this peskey little pos air pump and it takes a 60 amp fuse...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Hey guys, having the same issue on my new to me 3 day old subie and dealership won't do anything..... I want to delete the system and it doesn't look to difficult but what is an AP? I keep seeing this and I am totally new to any computer flashing or anything like that.... Also I can't find anyone in my area that can delete the codes for me.... Is this able to be done with a bluetooth obd2 reader? I am assuming not but thought I would ask anyhow.