fuel pump gone?

This is a discussion on fuel pump gone? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i recently bought a used 98 wrx. ive only had it a week, however i noticed the fuel pump seemed ...

fuel pump gone?

i recently bought a used 98 wrx. ive only had it a week, however i noticed the fuel pump seemed a little louder then average.

this morning i went to start it and the fuel pump is not coming on at all, just dead silent. the engine still kicks over, but im guessing the fuel pump isnt functioning at all.

i also noticed prior to this, sometimes it felt as if it wasnt getting fuel properly when i accelerated a little. ive had a similar problem in a different car and it ended up being the fuel pump.

anyone got any suggestions? or does it sound like its more then likely the fuel pump?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It could be the pump, yes, particularly if it is not a Subaru pump. The authentic pumps tend to be quite reliable, but people would use other pumps for higher flow rates. If the car was modified it's plausible the pump is either on its way out or has a bad connection even.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i checked power to the fuel pump, and it appears to be not receiving power.

would this be the fuel pump relay? i did some reading and ive found people to have similar problems to this, but no one mentions replacing the fuel pump relay.

I Support ClubWRX
    It could be and it's worth checking. Regrettably I have a new age car so I doubt we have similar setups. Can you get hold of a manual or wiring schematic?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

my mistake, it did have power, i had my multimeter on the wrong setting haha (idiot)

the relay was still clicking on and off with the ignition, so i went with gut feeling and pulled the pump out. i took it to a guy i have been chatting to about tuning and various wrx mods, he checked it out and said its a **** pump so i replaced it with a walbro (cant remember the exact type) and it seems to be going better.

the car itself feels like it runs better with this pump in it, no more bog down when the turbo kicks in, just picks up nicely.

the mechanic however advised me to bring the car in today and get the fuel pressure checked to make sure its not the regulator.

does that sound right?