Melted timing belt - how screwed am I?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Melted timing belt - how screwed am I? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have a 2002 Impreza RS sedan with 99k miles on it(I know its not a wrx or sti, ...

Melted timing belt - how screwed am I?

Hello,

I have a 2002 Impreza RS sedan with 99k miles on it(I know its not a wrx or sti, but same motor if Im not mistaken?).

The other day I noticed when I was idling at a light I started to hear squealing. So I asssumed it was the timing belt slip, but when I hit the gas it didnt squeal. Within a minute of driving slow and listening, I lose power (REALLY started to slip - gas was jumpy or no power at all). I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off my car and popped the hood. No sooner than I did that I heard something fall, and I look underneath my car to find a gear fell out with melted rubber coating it. From looking around on google I think it is the #1 idling gear (right terminology? - it has the markings 600SDWA, and about 2" in diameter).

Despite the car having 99k miles on it, the engine was rebuilt and had a new timing belt and water pump installed last september, at 80k miles. Supposedly the rebuilt engine has a warranty, although Im not sure on what it covers.

I am wondering how screwed am I? Is the engine from an '02 impreza an interference motor? Does that mean my engine is potentially shot? If not, what would be the estimated cost for a repair like this?

Thanks for any input,
    -Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If your car is still under warranty, then there is a very good chance you will be using it. What shop was it done by? Dealerships usually offer a 12k mile/1 yr warranty and other shops vary.

No, it's not remotely the same motor as an STI/WRX. What was repaired previously?

when it went into the shop, the engine was replaced by a used one with roughly the same mileage, and the receipt I have shows the timing belt and water pump was done.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spydr101 View Post
    when it went into the shop, the engine was replaced by a used one with roughly the same mileage, and the receipt I have shows the timing belt and water pump was done.
    Yes it's an interference motor. Call the shop and ask them about their service warranty. Nobody knows if they will cover it but them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.