Brake upgrade
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on Brake upgrade within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, here's the story, quickly. I bought a lemon. Didn't do my homework. Used 2005 WRX Wagon, "bone-stock", 64k miles. ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    87

    Brake upgrade

    Ok, here's the story, quickly.

    I bought a lemon. Didn't do my homework. Used 2005 WRX Wagon, "bone-stock", 64k miles.

    No maintenance done on the car. Oh, and also, there was an engine fire. Yeah. Little detail no one disclosed.

    My brake lines are melted. I need all new brakes, calipers, rotors, lines....

    Do STI brakes work on WRX's? I am gonna hit a $ cap soon. I want to upgrade but don't have 3k for brembo's. Any suggestions?

    Mods: please move thread to more appropriate forum if this is not a good spot. Thanks.
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User W0R7Xsubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    175
    brembos are great brakes but if u dont wanna spend too much and have better brakes that ur stocks just get 4/2 pots that came on the 06-07 wrx. just my .02
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #4114

  4. #3
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by W0R7Xsubi View Post
    brembos are great brakes but if u dont wanna spend too much and have better brakes that ur stocks just get 4/2 pots that came on the 06-07 wrx. just my .02
    +1 ^ ..Personally I think this is an excellant upgrade for the earlier WRX's if you dont have the money for the Brembo Gran Turismo system... also if you need new lines, a set of goodridge SS lines shouldnt be too much more than a set of the stock ones from the dealership....

  5. #4
    Moderator Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Da boonies
    Posts
    6,150
    I Support ClubWRX
    Bigger brakes don't necissarily stop the car any better,they just disapate heat better. Its a waste on a car that will never see the track. Using the 06-07 front calipers is a good idea. Spend the money on wider rims and tires (which actually will stop the car faster) or suspension.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S




  6. #5
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Biggest difference for me going from an 02 to my current 06 (aside from the power delivery) was the brakes. Driving my friends and customers cars with the single and dual piston sliders is almost annoying now.

    Like Donkey said, if your car never sees the track, don't bother with the big brake upgrades, it's just not worth it for you. Invest in something that will actually make you happier while driving the car. New shoes (wheels and tires) will make your car happier in several ways, and is a good place to start.

    You can find 06-07 calipers (you'll need the new front rotors as well + rear brackets if you decide to use the rear 2 pots as well) used on NASIOC just about every day. SS lines, better street pads, and some good fluid on top of those and you'll be pleased as punch.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  7. #6
    Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Like Donkey said, if your car never sees the track, don't bother with the big brake upgrades, it's just not worth it for you. Invest in something that will actually make you happier while driving the car. New shoes (wheels and tires) will make your car happier in several ways, and is a good place to start.

    You can find 06-07 calipers (you'll need the new front rotors as well + rear brackets if you decide to use the rear 2 pots as well) used on NASIOC just about every day. SS lines, better street pads, and some good fluid on top of those and you'll be pleased as punch.
    Ok, all, I am in agreement. I don't intend to put this car on the track (at least, not until I get new suspension, a bigger turbo, a custom intake....), so for the meantime, I will look at retrofitting with the 06 calipers. It strikes me that after some consideration, I may actually be in the market for bigger rims and wheels and snow tires for the stock wheels. As long as the car stops in usual driving conditions, I'm happy. I have good taste and tend to want the best right off the bat, but I think I'm just going to play it safe while I get the car up to snuff.

    Thanks for everyone's .02!
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

  8. #7
    Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    87

    EBC brakes?

    Does anyone know if these are decently upgraded rotors? They have slotted rotors that will work with my stock wheels and calipers until i can upgrade to bigger brakes. I don't want to invest in them if they aren't worth it, though.

    Thanks in advance.
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz_the_Chick View Post
    Ok, all, I am in agreement. I don't intend to put this car on the track (at least, not until I get new suspension, a bigger turbo, a custom intake....), so for the meantime, I will look at retrofitting with the 06 calipers. It strikes me that after some consideration, I may actually be in the market for bigger rims and wheels and snow tires for the stock wheels. As long as the car stops in usual driving conditions, I'm happy. I have good taste and tend to want the best right off the bat, but I think I'm just going to play it safe while I get the car up to snuff.

    Thanks for everyone's .02!
    Be aware that the difference between '06 WRX calipers (front and rear) is better brake balance and better feel. The '06 WRX actually has a longer braking distance than your '05.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •