02 stock WRX engine knock

This is a discussion on 02 stock WRX engine knock within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here is what I have going on. The knock is in time with the RPMs-when cold the engine knocks at ...

02 stock WRX engine knock

Here is what I have going on. The knock is in time with the RPMs-when cold the engine knocks at any RPM-mid temp it knocks only at low RPM,like under 2g/low idle-engine up to temp it stops completely-and lastly when it is cold out (say below 45F) the oil pressure is low until engine comes up to full temp. I have done some reading and heard from one or two people. The answers I have found range wildly, here is a list of the most common answers I haver recieved.
    Piston slap and that it is normal
    Bad timing belt tensioner
    Spun bearing
    Bad rod
    Needs valve adjustment
    Wrong grade of oil(been running 5W30 conventional)
    Worn/cracked piston
    There are more but you get the idea, I would appreciate any clearity that can be provided.
    p.s. it has also gotten louder and takes longer to stop than when it started about 1500 miles ago.
    Last edited by doc2024t6; 08-13-2010 at 10:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A video with the sound would help diagnosis. Piston slap is normal in these cars, as far as I can tell. The heads also tick loudly, that's normal.

The oil pressure light going off is BAD. You may want to drop the oil pan to take a look at the oil pickup tube. KillerBMotorsport sells a beefier one. If yours has gone, you're going to need a new engine probably.

A cracked piston or other serious problem could be revealed with a compression test. Valve adjustment is usually necessary for higher mileage engines only. Due to the cost of this service (usually requires dropping the engine) most people elect to either get a new engine or rebuild theirs at this point.

If you're super lucky it could be a loose coilpack or plug...

I will try to post a video in the next day or so. The car has just shy of 130,000 miles on it, I have had it since it was new and this knock is new. So Im reasonably sure that it is not just a normal function.

How hard do you drive it and how often do you change your oil? A used oil analysis from Blackstone could help diagnose your issues. As I said, it may be worth dropping the pan to check the pickup tube next oil change.

I have stuck to the 3000 mile oil change with 5W30 conventional. I drove the car a little hard for about the first year, but the majority of the miles on the car have been pretty mild. Hitting the gas a little harder than needed getting on the freeway is about it for me now a days.