Oil in intercooler and turbo outlet. any ideas?

This is a discussion on Oil in intercooler and turbo outlet. any ideas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I removed the intercooler on my 2002 WRX and noticed what appeared to be oil in the outlet ...

So today I removed the intercooler on my 2002 WRX and noticed what appeared to be oil in the outlet that goes to the throttle body. I smelled it and it smelled like oil. also on one of the inlets on the back the "y" hose was covered in the same oily substance.

Upon further inspection i noticed more oily residue on the inside of the turbo outlet. I figured I should check the oil which was just below the bottom dot on the dipstick.

I just changed the oil about 200 miles ago and put in 4 quarts of mobil 1 as the manual suggests. 15 minutes or so after the change I checked the level and it was just below the top dot so I assume i am burning some oil.

I haven't driven the car hard at all and it is holding boost and otherwise seems to run fine. There are no oil drips anywhere and I have not noticed any smoke. Any ideas what this is or how to fix it? Is it possible for there be an oil leak in the turbo?

My car is stock except for Mishimoto radiator and silencer delete.

Thanks for any and all help

Jeremy
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 08-12-2010 at 08:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Blow-by. Some is normal. A lot is bad. If you literally had to pour it out of your intercooler then I'd get a compression test.

Don't use 5w30 M1.

It wasn't much by any means what was on the paper towel was all i got out of it. My compression is 160, 160, 160, 160. Also why not mobil 1?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    It wasn't much by any means what was on the paper towel was all i got out of it. My compression is 160, 160, 160, 160. Also why not mobil 1?
    That oil is what air/oil separators and catch cans are for. Mobil 1 5w30 Syth has an issue with prematurely shearing to 5w20.
    Last edited by brfatal; 08-12-2010 at 08:39 PM.

High Mileage M1 5W-30 won't shear like regular M1 5W-30. I personally use M1 TDT 5W-40, but some people don't like running diesel oil.

As stated, you're seeing blow by that is normal in forced induction engines. If you're worried about it, or there's alot you might want to get an AOS or catch can. Just do your research first.

You may also want to check your PCV valve. For the throttle cabled cars it should be under the right corner of the throttle body, screwed into the intake manifold. FWIW mine was fine after 60K, though it's possible that it has gummed up. The breather hardline that goes across the intercooler may be gummed up, it's worth sticking a metal rod through there to see if anything's in there.

same issue today, but i was trying to find a leak im having, when i took the intercooler off there was a nice little puddle of oil, i am using 10w-30 synth is this the reason why half the undercarriage is covered in oil(trying to find the source of this nasty leak!!!)

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Use something like 5w40 or 0w40 if you're using M1. Heavier weight is better from what I've been told countless times.

Ski, it dosn't look like you have an excessive amount of oil in there at all, I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to see smoke out of the exhaust pipe or like brfatal said, "pouring it out of the intercooler." Also, the oil filter will take up some oil too, so that could be why your oil level is lower than when you poured it if you didn't top it off after running the engine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by homflake View Post
    i am using 10w-30 synth is this the reason why half the undercarriage is covered in oil
    No. The reason you have half the undercarriage covered with oil has nothing to do with the oil's viscosity or source. It's a mechanical fault in the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by homflake View Post
    , i am using 10w-30 synth is this the reason why half the undercarriage is covered in oil(trying to find the source of this nasty leak!!!)
    Did you tighten oil drain plug and filter properly and did you wipe off excess oil drip after changing oil...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

will get back to you. once i clean it up... last person who changed oil was subaru dealership:-[