Gargle noise in 1st sometimes 2nd gear

This is a discussion on Gargle noise in 1st sometimes 2nd gear within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought an 03 WRX a few weeks ago, and I've put about 2k miles on it. It had ...

Gargle noise in 1st sometimes 2nd gear

I just bought an 03 WRX a few weeks ago, and I've put about 2k miles on it. It had a CEL code for catalytic efficiency below threshold because of the up-pipe, and I took it in to see what could be done to solve this. I ended up having the shop do nothing to the car because I found out about the resistor mod that would solve the CEL.

Anyway, after I got my car back that day(after paying $106 for diagnostics), I started hearing a gargle like noise when I pull out in first and sometimes when I shift into 2nd at low RPMs. I'm not sure what it is or if it did it before and after I took it into the shop.

Also, sometimes when I'm pulling out in first it seems like it's having split seconds where the power is cutting out and it's like I'm tapping the breaks while I'm accelerating. I've never owned a WRX before, so I don't know if that's a normal occurrence for the 2.0L.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I thought I'd add that the mechanics at the shop I took my car to said it seemed to be in excellent shape. That it ran nicely and nothing looked wrong with it. My car has almost 108k on it. Maybe some helpful info to take into consideration.

I've been listening to the noise I'm hearing when I'm pulling out or at low rpm's in 2nd-sometimes 3rd, and I think it's more of a rattle coming from the back of the car.

Get under the car and check all the heatshields. Push and pull on the exhaust. It should not move much. Is this car stock?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djacobsWRX View Post
    I just bought an 03 WRX a few weeks ago, and I've put about 2k miles on it. It had a CEL code for catalytic efficiency below threshold because of the up-pipe, and I took it in to see what could be done to solve this. I ended up having the shop do nothing to the car because I found out about the resistor mod that would solve the CEL.

Anyway, after I got my car back that day(after paying $106 for diagnostics), I started hearing a gargle like noise when I pull out in first and sometimes when I shift into 2nd at low RPMs. I'm not sure what it is or if it did it before and after I took it into the shop.

Also, sometimes when I'm pulling out in first it seems like it's having split seconds where the power is cutting out and it's like I'm tapping the breaks while I'm accelerating. I've never owned a WRX before, so I don't know if that's a normal occurrence for the 2.0L.

Any help would be appreciated!
    The last part is problematic also. Do the RPMs jump when it stops pulling (i.e. is your clutch slipping)?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb