front diff fluid change?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on front diff fluid change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i was wondering if i should change the fluid in the front differential of my 2005 wrx wagon and if ...

front diff fluid change?

i was wondering if i should change the fluid in the front differential of my 2005 wrx wagon and if it would be the same as doing the rear. the car is stock and just a daily driver. i just ordered fluid for the tranny and rear diff but wasn't sure about the front.

also i was thinking about getting a tune up and i believe the basics to do is change the spark plugs and fuel filter but i think i read the fuel filter is in the gas tank on the 05's. is this correct? if so its not something i'm wanting to do myself.

thanks for helping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The 5spd gearbox does not use separate fluids for the front diff and the gearbox itself. On these one only changes the fluid for the gearbox (use a 75W-90 GL5). The rear diff has the same fluid specification requirements.

If your car is automatic check the manual for what to do, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i bought red line 75w90 ns for the transmission and red line 75w90 for the rear differential but my question is should i also replace the fluid in the front and is the process for replacing the fluid the same as it is with the rear.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by auceny View Post
    i bought red line 75w90 ns for the transmission and red line 75w90 for the rear differential but my question is should i also replace the fluid in the front and is the process for replacing the fluid the same as it is with the rear.
    There somewhat the same, you know where the dip stick is for the the front gearbox right? you have to fill the gearbox from that hole for the dip stick.
    The drain plug is like a 17 mm hex head (i think)

i'm not sure where the dip stick is but i'll be sure to find it. i haven't been too concerned with scheduled maintenance until i just bought a house and have a garage to work in.

i'm not sure where the dip stick is but i'll be sure to find it. i haven't been too concerned with scheduled maintenance until i just bought a house and have a garage to work in.
    This is on a non turbo but almost all subbie's are the same.
    just scroll down a bit, this is also a view from the passenger side of the hood
    http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...in-plug-64112/

The front diff is inside the transmission case.

Here's the thread you need for changing the fluid.
    DIY: Transmission Fluid Change

also i was thinking about getting a tune up and i believe the basics to do is change the spark plugs and fuel filter but i think i read the fuel filter is in the gas tank on the 05's. is this correct? if so its not something i'm wanting to do myself.
    05+ WRX's have the fuel filter in the gas tank. The filter does not need to be replaced unless the fuel pump has gone bad. Subaru doesn't sell the filter by it self.

Sparkplugs
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518633
    http://www.scoobymods.com/spark-plug...&threadid=3017
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 08-12-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Adding the part about the fuel filter.

so when i change the fluid in the transmission i am also changing the front diff fluid as the same time since it is inside the transmission?

I Support ClubWRX
    so when i change the fluid in the transmission i am also changing the front diff fluid as the same time since it is inside the transmission?
    Yes,if it is a manual transmission.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yes,if it is a manual transmission.
    +1

This ain't no Wrangler

Smile

thanks for the help everyone. this weekends project is new brake pads. next will be tranny and diff fluid swap since its still in the mail. after that will probably be spark plugs. the only thing that has really been done is oil changes since it was bought in 2005 so i know all of this stuff is due. anything important that i'm missing that isn't too difficult? i flushed the radiator last weekend.

Here's the Schedule you should be following.
    http://www.subaru.com/content/downlo...005SchedCA.pdf

It's likely time to have the brake fluid changed as well (every 30k miles)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.