Urgent help needed with power loss!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Urgent help needed with power loss!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I have had afew pointers on other forums but I need to get the best all round concensus ...

Urgent help needed with power loss!!

Hi all,
    I have had afew pointers on other forums but I need to get the best all round concensus of opinion as I have lttle time to tinker at the mo and need the scoob for runs to and from hospital (poorly parents).

The car is driving nicely but there is no urgency to it.
    The boost is at 0 bar at around 3k revs and achieve max boost 1.1-1.2 not until 4k - 4.5k revs.
    This does not feel right at all and there is no feeling of being pushed into your seat as there should be.
    This in itself is not a prob for getting about but Im sure that something is starting to fail and concerned that there could be dire probs if it does.

Its been suggested that maybe the fins on the hot side of the turbo are now getting worn??
    Or poss a crack around the actuator valve in the casing?
    There has always been a slight vibration sound when spooling up but this is intermittant and I could feel no shaft play when probing from the intake side.

Hope to get the car to an independant scooby tuner today maybe - but all opinions would be most welcome.

She is getting on a little now JDM MY95 WRX classic pre facelift with the TD05 top entry turbo.

Thanks.
    Baggers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Look for vacuum leaks.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Have checked all the vac hoses and can see nothing obvious.
    In now attempting to adjust the actuator to see if its the wastegate as am getting a lot of flutter.
    Any other thoughts??
    Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    When was the last time you changed the spark plugs? When did it last have a tune up? How many miles? When was the Air filter replaced? Is your car all stock?

If you are hitting 1.1 bar your boost seems fine.

Maybe a CAT is plugged or close to it. If it was it would take more work from the engine to push past the restriction which is why boost comes on later and it doesn't feel fast.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Have now adjusted the actuator and rechecked/.tightenned all boost a vac hoses.
    I have no CAT - The filter is brand new APEXI.
    New Plugs and uprate coilpacks 6 mnths ago -the car is my weekend and holliday driver.
    Is due and oil change now admitted.
    Car has:
    Fujisu Chip (the ones polar performance and prodrive use)
    Turbo back straight through exhaust.
    Walbro fuel pump.
    Apexi panel filter.
    X-Spec coils.
    Standard NGK plugs.
    Run on 99 ron fuel.
    Forge Dump Valve.
    Some silicone hosing.

Prob seems to have occurred recently. - IThink its the turbo getting old.
    In the Uk Andy forrest does a reworked TD05 - I think Im gonna have to get one asap.

Will try all suggestions though!

I Support ClubWRX
    How many KMs/miles on the turbo?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

pretty sure its still the original blower so that'll be 121k kilometers.

Have just been out for a test and seems a little better after tightening the hose clamps and adjusting the actuator - boost is coming on a bit quicker so my guess is that the wastegate was openning under too little pressure - this should get me by until I can can another td05 on the old girl -what U think chap??

I Support ClubWRX
    Turbos start to go at around 75k-90k (120k-144k kms) miles at elevated boost levels and duty cycles here in the US. Not to mention maintenance and driving style also factors in turbo longevity. So it could be goin out.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah same for most blowers I think - Cant hurt to get another slapped on - The engine on my classic seems to be a good one and has given me know hassle over the 4 years Ive had it.
    Shame the other two that I recently broke had no turbos on them!
    Hey ho - time to pull out the plastic I think!
    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.