Under what conditions does VDC kick in?

This is a discussion on Under what conditions does VDC kick in? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When does Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) kick in for the 2008 WRX (not STI)? It feels like the vehicle is ...

Red face Under what conditions does VDC kick in?

When does Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) kick in for the 2008 WRX (not STI)? It feels like the vehicle is not performing like it used to just a month ago. I am wondering if it may be the traction or steering control kicking in and cutting the power to the engine. Under what conditions does this happen? I don't see any TC lights flicker on while driving... does this mean that VDC is not kicking in? When I turn off VDC the car seems to have the power that I remember it having a month ago.

Some extra info: I suspect that my front right tire may be a tiny bit deflated. Could the sensors be detecting a minor difference in spin and cutting the power? The oil levels are good, but maybe the car is in need of an oil change? Is the computer smart enough to detect this kind of stuff? Any help here is appreciated.

- New WRX owner

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyAtNight8 View Post
    When does Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) kick in for the 2008 WRX (not STI)? It feels like the vehicle is not performing like it used to just a month ago. I am wondering if it may be the traction or steering control kicking in and cutting the power to the engine. Under what conditions does this happen? I don't see any TC lights flicker on while driving... does this mean that VDC is not kicking in? When I turn off VDC the car seems to have the power that I remember it having a month ago.

Some extra info: I suspect that my front right tire may be a tiny bit deflated. Could the sensors be detecting a minor difference in spin and cutting the power? The oil levels are good, but maybe the car is in need of an oil change? Is the computer smart enough to detect this kind of stuff? Any help here is appreciated.

- New WRX owner

If there is a problem with the VDC system the warning light will illuminate. VDC is Vehicle Dynamics Control...This is subarus verzion of stability control which incorporates a lateral G sensor, a steering angle sensor and also uses inputs from the wheel speed sensors I believe, When the VDC control module senses a roll over or well... instability while driving it will kick in...ex: say you swerve to miss a car at 45 mph...